HL challenger 2 gear ratio

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: HL challenger 2 gear ratio

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Scaled down to 1/16th, the Challenger 2 has a top road speed of 3.4 feet per second and 2.3 feet per second off road. In comparison, the Tiger 1 had a maximum road speed of 2.6 feet per second, 1.5 feet per second off road. To get the true scale speed you need to take the actual speed in mph and multiply it by 0.09167 and you get a model speed in feet per second.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Scaled down to 1/16th, the Challenger 2 has a top road speed of 3.4 feet per second and 2.3 feet per second off road. In comparison, the Tiger 1 had a maximum road speed of 2.6 feet per second, 1.5 feet per second off road. To get the true scale speed you need to take the actual speed in mph and multiply it by 0.09167 and you get a model speed in feet per second.
Which is plenty fast enough for us old folk to keep up with ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Andy-G
Recruit

Post by Andy-G »

Is it expected that with upgrade metal drivetrain components you sacrifice speed?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Scaled down to 1/16th, the Challenger 2 has a top road speed of 3.4 feet per second and 2.3 feet per second off road. In comparison, the Tiger 1 had a maximum road speed of 2.6 feet per second, 1.5 feet per second off road. To get the true scale speed you need to take the actual speed in mph and multiply it by 0.09167 and you get a model speed in feet per second.
Think mine might be a little faster than that :haha: :haha: :thumbup:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Don't forget that the diameter of the drive sprocket affects speed too.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Andy-G wrote:Is it expected that with upgrade metal drivetrain components you sacrifice speed?
You don't really have to sacrifice speed. If you go from 3 to 1 to 4 to 1 you will have less top speed, but some bigger Motors will help with that. I think the main reason most guys like the 4 to 1 is because it does have better low speed control because it has more torque. Can you post photos of the gearbox you have right now?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Isn't it just possible to manage speed with delicate manipulation of the TX toggles?
Time and practice can give good results, I think...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Isn't it just possible to manage speed with delicate manipulation of the TX toggles?
Time and practice can give good results, I think...

I would imagins so - BUT - a weak, underpowered motor will need a firmer touch in order to generate sufficient force to overcome initial resistance. Especially if you have upgraded the running gear to metal. I bought the HL Pro version of the Challenger (metal gearbox, metal tracks, wheels etc) and it simply would not "creep" !!! I found it very stop and go on rough surfaces, not so bad on smooth flooring.

Now I can go from a gentle creep to full speed ahead with plenty of control (when I've practiced the delicate touch a bit more LOL)
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Our model tanks suffer from low spec. brushed motors and cheap propriatory electronic speed controllers (ESC) built into the mfu. In terms of smooth running, nylon geared boxes with plastic wheels and tracks would be better (but we all want metal!). If we were prepared to spend lots more we would have none of these problems but then we would all be using 'hobby grade' electronics in our vehicles, rather like the car racers, boat builders, truck modellers, aircraft modellers and so on. Shame on us!! :{
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If I am spending £1,000 for a 1/16 scale Tank I do not think it unreasonable to expect to find a decent electronics suite fitted as standard.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Discussion”