True to scale

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: True to scale

Post by jarndice »

A very nice site my Australian friend,
I can see me wasting far too much time poring over it :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I would be cautious when using that site as a reference to be honest, there are many glaring errors in his illustrations.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The first thing I noticed when viewing the Tiger 1 early was the Tow Ropes were laid out as if they were from a later variant and not reversed as of course they should be on the early, I also noted the monocular gunners sight in the early when as far as I know that was not fitted until the very end of the Late Tiger 1 production run. But there is a lot to like besides the errors.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

As with most things on the internet, always cross check with other sources before assuming it to be the gospel :haha:
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

I have spotted some errors in the performance data too
The Panther Ausf D according to this site has a front plate angled back at 35 degrees lol, it should be 55 and there is zero mention of the HL 210 engine despite it being fitted to the first 250 Panthers
It also lists a large number of completely fake vehicles like E-90, E-100 Tiger Ausf B and Panther II with a schmalturm and an 88mm
Last edited by STHV on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

In fairness to the guy he's not presenting his site as anything other than artwork, and it is available to us for free. I have a far bigger beef with those that charge for their work in print books and present them as 'plans' :lolno:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's because the HL 210 was only fitted in the first Tiger 1's, not Panthers. By the time Panthers were deployed, the order had already gone out to discontinue the 210 and swap it for the 230 at any opportunity.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:That's because the HL 210 was only fitted in the first Tiger 1's, not Panthers. By the time Panthers were deployed, the order had already gone out to discontinue the 210 and swap it for the 230 at any opportunity.
That isnt quite true
https://i.gyazo.com/fd49cd96c57553131bc ... d6811a.png
https://i.gyazo.com/91cbdc9383f0e3df213 ... 917c4b.png

HL 210 was swapped for the 230 only in May 1943
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, as the factory only built 250 HL 210's, and they put the majority in the Tiger 1's which was an earlier tank than the Panther, they may have put the odd one or two in a couple of Panthers for testing till they got the better engines from the production line.
What you've shown is the only reference to the later 250 Panthers having those earlier engines instead of the earlier Tiger 1's.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I'd heard 500 total were made, 250 going to Tigers and 250 going to early Panthers - can't lay my hands on a source for that right now tho... What I do have is a reference to 174 Panthers being completed by the end of April 1943, which makes the 250 number sound plausable - Source: https://www.panzerwrecks.com/product/pa ... n-changes/
(Its a really good book, you should get it if you are at all interested in Panthers)

Return to “General Questions”