Horizon Hobby.

Had a bad experience with a vendor? Let us know right here.
Forum rules
One topic per vendor, use the search facility to check if a thread already exists for a vendor.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Horizon Hobby.

Post by Tiger6 »

X82d Pathfinder wrote:America doesn't have VAT,
Wrong! Many states have a sales tax (Michigan was 6% when I lived there, and unlike the EU where it applies only to the original sale, tax is applicable if you sold an item second hand!) and several of them have started forcing the larger vendors to collect it on their behalf on orders that are shipped to their state, or again in the case of Michigan, if that vendor has a physical location within that state irrespective of which state the goods were being shipped from.
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Sales tax is NOT VAT. It's a sales tax. You need to learn the difference between VAT ( Value Added Tax) and sales tax. I know all about the taxes, The US does NOT collect tax on behalf of other countries, nor does it collect sales tax for those items sold outside the U.S. If there is VAT and import duties added, Its by customs of the nation it is shipped to. The U.S. tax code also doesn't collect duties or taxes on toys if they are listed as such in their documents. I'm an Airline pilot and I have dealt with this issue for some time as I pick up figures from all over Europe on a regular basis. I simply have to declare them and do so as "Toys".
-Keith
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

You are correct in that the US does not charge sales tax on outgoing parcels, but I don't think anyone in this thread suggested that they did? Certainly the majority of people in this thread know that EU vendors should drop the VAT when the parcel is going the other way.

To the other point; having lived there for 6 years I can assure you that all practical terms for the end consumer, Michigan sales and usage tax is the same as our VAT - right down to the identical requirement that residents would be expected to declare and pay it on their overseas purchases when they returned to the US from their trips - irrespective of what it was they had bought :wave:
Think in terms of US = EU, US States = EU member countries, and you will see similarities quite quickly.

The only real difference is that there isn't a State Treasury official waiting to collect his 'slice of the action' at Detroit Wayne County Airport when you land :haha:

Source for those interested: https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7 ... --,00.html
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Technically, I'm supposed to declare every item that I buy on the internet and then submit 6% to the Michigan state government for sales tax. And everybody pays attention to that. ;)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Lol yeah, there was a reason why they changed the old 'honesty box' policy over to forcing retailers in other states to collect their tax on their behalf (threshold is $100,000 or 200 transactions to the state per year, for those interested)

(For the record - I never stuck around long enough to get my Green card, so I was exempt as a non-resident)

Also - Texas also wants their 6.25% on your foreign purchases:
https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/use-tax.php
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Tiger6 wrote:
X82d Pathfinder wrote:America doesn't have VAT,
Wrong! Many states have a sales tax (Michigan was 6% when I lived there, and unlike the EU where it applies only to the original sale, tax is applicable if you sold an item second hand!) and several of them have started forcing the larger vendors to collect it on their behalf on orders that are shipped to their state, or again in the case of Michigan, if that vendor has a physical location within that state irrespective of which state the goods were being shipped from.
You said I was wrong here, did you not? I'm right. There is NO VAT. The US does NOT charge tariffs on toys or hobby products UNLESS they have a hazardous content, ie thinners and such. I am involved with the U.S. owner/ distributor for Scale 75. I deal with the AA freight paperwork and laws regarding import/export. I deal with them in Spain all the time.
Sales tax is NEVER charged to any non-U.S. resident. Some states collect taxes on items that are sold where the distributor/ manufacturer warehouses their product in that state. So, as I stated. The VAT/Tariff/Taxes are at the hands of UK Customs. You didn't read the OP's statement completely. He's in the UK. I addressed shipment U.S. to UK.
-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim

Return to “Vendors Blacklist”