Tamiya Jagdpanther overhaul and new transmission

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther overhaul and new transmission

Post by sevoblast »

I'll fill you in on the details later, it's getting late here and I've been up since 04. Reason I know is many years ago a friend of mine bought an early '30's bank armored car, if I remember correctly it was an International frame, for restoration. I happened to be there the day he and his workers were starting to cut the rusted and rotted metal off the right rear box body panel, and the torch kept mushing out. I joined in, work stopped and we started to cutting disc parts of the panel. It was two 1/8 inch steel plates with raw cotton compressed strongly between the panels. 1/8 steel saved huge weight in the build and operation costs, but back then they still had to deflect 30 cal armor piercing rounds, which from research was found to be quite common in the hands of the criminals.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

_DSC0008AB.jpg
_DSC0003AB.jpg

Got a little more done last eventide. Wecohe suspension system is a bear to adjust, but once properly set up, it's pretty grand. I use the stock Tamiya torsion bars for the front road wheels and the rest is Wecohe. Depending on how he sits, I may go with Tamiya rear torsion bars, too. I've found over time that when in combat the Wecohe springs can be a little weak, but using stock front and rear torsion bars to carry most of the weight, the supple Wecohe system really shines.

Transmission installation was straightforward. The motor wires will be replaced with copper wire and gold plated connections. Notice on the front side Daryl's final drive covers. This is missing in the kit, and Daryl will make them again shortly. I'll have them back on sight when he's finished them.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

photo 1.jpg
Here's the photo of spaced lower front hull armor. Looks not quite real to me, for instance the huge bolts holding on thin spaced armor on the lower hull front and what may be too much infrarot goodies. Also, the broken tow cable does not look real. Might be a model of a Panther 2, but I'm no expert. It is a Panther 2 turret.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

sevoblast wrote:
photo 1.jpg
It is a Panther 2 turret.
This Picture shows a Panther F
It is´nt a Panther 2 turret!
A Panther 2 turret never existed, there were only drawings.
This is the well known "Schmalturm"
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Ergo the photo is not the real thing. I suspected as much.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice photo and good progress!

Did you find the JP steel wheel photo?
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Thanks, Ad Lav. Haven't found the photo yet, still pressed for time. Somehow I missed the part in the Book for the Newly Retired that mentioned 'spare time'. They ain't none.
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

7-_craa.jpg
I don't know about you, but I went from 10 hours a day five days a week to 12 hours and more six days a week. How the heck did that happen? Of course, having a herd of children don't help. Here is three of 'em. Sophia is on your left, Allyeesya is middle, Ye'katarina is right. There's more....
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
The children are looking Grand as usual, my friend! The tank rebuild is a beauty as well. Things are well here in the fastness of our mountain den. An extra young pup makes three now. Not enough time to build all I want but in a very few years, hopefully.
with all regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sevoblast
Lance Corporal

Post by sevoblast »

Thanks, Painless. All is well here, too. Our addition is not young, the owners of Allyeesya's brother decided, after almost 13 years, that they didn't want him anymore and if we did not take him back they would turn him out. Needless to say, he came home. 'Two legs' can be cruel, Ruslan is a very gentle boy who fit in with his sisters and nieces instantly and seamlessly.

I hope this weekend to get on the Jagdpanther again. The wheels are Wecohe and as such were designed for the Wecohe Panther which used Tamiya Tiger 1 suspension arms. I've got to do a little lathe work on the inside of them to fit the Panther arms, plus I want to install bearings. I'm going to use slightly modified Tamiya KT wheel inserts, the cast 'metal' ones that came with the Wecohe set are...ummm....not quite up to snuff, they are simply poorly cast copies of Tamiya.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”