M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 8-5 Update, Muzzle Reference Sensor (MRS)

Post by BarryC »

Thank you sir for the historical background, I did not know. :thumbup:

As Paul Harvey would have said "and now you know the rest of the story".

Modeling is truly an encompassing hobby.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

tankme wrote:Here are some of the reasons it's a smoothbore gun:

The US decided to develop armour-piercing penetrators like APDS, and eventually APDSFS. These penetrators effectively use their momentum to break through armour extremely easily and then destroy important parts inside of a target like ammunition storages, engine parts, or the crew.

At the same time, gun/launchers were developed to fire rockets from the same barrel as tank shells.

These necessitated a smoothbore gun to allow both shells and rockets to be effectively used. The US did give up on the idea of rockets, but the smoothbore guns were already in use and were perfectly effective, so they stuck.

On the other hand, the UK developed HEAT and HESH to allow for a single shell type for both anti-tank and infantry support, favouring HESH rounds in the long run.

HESH, unlike HEAT shells, don’t need to penetrate armour to cause damage; the squash-head literally squashes up against armour and sends a shockwave that shatters the underside, flinging pieces into the fighting compartment like shrapnel. Penetration just means more forceful (and plentiful) shrapnel, as well as the explosion acting in an enclosed space.

So there you have it. Had the Americans chosen HESH over APFSDS, the Abrams might have been equipped with a rifled gun like the Challenger.

Add to this the fact that the UK had/has a massive stockpile of smoothbore ammo whereas the US had almost depleted theirs. Tis lack of stock made it much easier for them to completely re-arm whereas us penny-pinching Brits didn't want to waste all thosr lovely bullets. The issue was then compounded for us by the dact that retro-fitting a smoothbore would entail a completely new design of turret in order to accomodate the one-piece ammo! however - rhumours circulate about a new turret/130mm (big bugger) smoothbore combo in the future for the Challenger 8) :thumbup:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Here are pics of the "nearly" complete Loaders Armored Gun Station (LAGS).

There are details to be added to the hatch itself and I am likely going to remake the Gun Ring as it sits too close to the hatch at the rear causing interference with the hatch and hinged armored panel. :O

I need to make the armored glass panels for the gun shield. I "plan" on using two .030" pieces of clear plastic with a spacer between.

The pics show the forward and rear armored panels in the deployed and lowered positions.

TTFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: M1A1HA, 8-11 Update, Loader's Armored Gun Station (LAGS)

Post by Ad Lav »

Keep checking in on the updates - coming along a real treat! Keep up the good work!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Ad Lav wrote:Keep checking in on the updates - coming along a real treat! Keep up the good work!
Thank you and will do! Working on completing the details on the Commander's Cupola and 50 cal.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I think I'm going to miss this build when it's finally finished.

All the detailing, and re detailing till you get it how you want.

It certainly has been highly entertaining, and informative, a real joy to watch and in a way be part of :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for sharing Barry :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks Mick,

What makes you think I'm actually going to finish it! :haha:
I'm looking forward to finishing it as I've got several more I would like to complete in this life time. :thumbup:

Cheers
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

BarryC wrote:Thanks Mick,

I'm looking forward to finishing it as I've got several more I would like to complete in this life time. :thumbup:

Cheers
Barry
When you say "this life time" is that measured in light years or dog years, or Human years ?? :wtf:
All I want is that its finished before the Mother Ship takes you home.
Those gigantic eyes and spindly fingers will be missed :'(

If your ability to paint is anywhere near as good as your ability to create and build, then we are in for a treat.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
BarryC wrote:Thanks Mick,

Cheers
Barry
When you say "this life time" is that measured in light years or dog years, or Human years ?? :wtf:
All I want is that its finished before the Mother Ship takes you home.
Those gigantic eyes and spindly fingers will be missed :'(

If your ability to paint is anywhere near as good as your ability to create and build, then we are in for a treat.
Herman,

I requested and been granted a permanent change of duty assignment. I will be living out my remaining days right here of the "good earth" with all you good folks! :clap: I'm still not clear on how this will affect my longevity. :think: But I was very pleased with the approval of my request. I really enjoy it here and "really" like the elixir you call Bourbon! :D It's not Romulan Ale but it is most pleasant and after a trying day at the bench it's most relaxing! :thumbup:

I spent some 12 years doing custom painting of Model Railroad equipment specifically imported brass steam locomotive and believe I'm fairly accomplished with my paint skills. Though I've built and painted a few static models since it has now been over 15 years since last time I took on a painting task as large as the Abrams will be, so we shall see. ;)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Eastern Front wrote:Fantastic job Barry.....

Though you humbly state "We'll see" on the paint job, we all really know the outcome--Awesome!

It will be sad to see it come to and end, its like watching an epic movie, when it ends you say, "wow" that was awesome, then you say "Bummer its over" Lastly you then look forward to a sequel!

Can't wait for your "Sequel" Barry!!!

Cheers!!
Thank you for the kind words.

I hope my painting will be up to expectations. It's more the weathering that concerns me than the basic paint.

I started out with a vision and have worked hard to fulfill it.

As for the sequel, I have a number of options.

Heng Long / DGS Firefly conversion, started but set aside.
Heng Long / Nick Aguilar M4A3 76(W)...."In the Mood"
Tamiya Leopard 1A5 with all the AFV Model upgrades and details along with the Perfect Scale A5 turret.
Tamiya Leopard 2A6 with AFV Model upgrades planning a 2A6 CAN with Slat Armor. 8O
Tamiya M551 Sheridan, OOB "for the most part" at least that's the plan!
Taigen T34 metal lower / Trumpeter T34/76 Upper & Turret
Ludwigs Centurion planning a Australian Mk5 Vietnam version
Ludwigs M48A3/5 planning a US Army Vietnam version
Hooben T55 with Ludwig upgrades converted to Israeli Tiran 4
Dragon 1/6" M4A4 conversion to USMC M4A2 with Spiker Workshop upgrades, East Coast Armory and Armorpax details. Working on obtaining some 50 cal ammo and links need as final missing detail pieces. I have a couple of 1/6 USMC figures for crew members.

I am leaning towards the Tamiya M551 Sheridan just because it should not be a 3+year build!
The Firefly could also be next as I've gotten the lower (re-positioned gearboxes) and the transmission cover done.

Thanks again!
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”