Torro Late Production Tiger 1 Restoration

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Torro Late Production Tiger 1 Restoration

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's now in the Tips and Tricks. :wave:

I agree about converting a Tamiya, the Torro is as good as one, and come in Early, Mid, or Late versions. They are also ready assembled, and of course are very easy to adapt to aftermarket electronics. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Trouble is it gets out of hand!

You end up with three Tigers! I already have too many HVSS Sherman’s :)

I’ll keep watching your resto :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Removed the front track guards, and a couple of side ones. Roughed up the area behind the side ones so that I can apply milliput and extend the zimmerit down. When it was applied at the factory they did the whole of the sides and then put the guards on, so with the guards gone the zimmerit would be exposed.

It's going to be done as battle weary late war Tiger so will need to look as though as if it has been through a few battles....but not 'too' rough.
Attachments
IMG_20190807_143659.jpg
IMG_20190807_143647.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

All of the zimmerit now applied, and I managed to find a screwdriver that is the same width as the original indents, so that came out quite nicely. All of the tools and the jackblock have been sanded off and all surfaces smoothed. Used a hot gun to bend the fenders slightly as well. I also did the bit that most miss, the ends of the vertical glacis should be sloped, Tamiya is the only manufacturer that did it properly, the Heng Long original fault has been copied across all the other manufacturers who copied their mistake. :/

The ariel stowage has gone, but needs some filler to neaten it up a bit.

I'll get hold of some brass strips and make replacement brackets etc, but do them a bit mangled with no tools. Looking at pics none of those pristine tools lasted very long in the real world.
Attachments
IMG_20190808_213759.jpg
IMG_20190808_212514.jpg
IMG_20190808_212525.jpg
IMG_20190808_212540.jpg
IMG_20190808_212555.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Hate doing zimmerit with a passion, that looks great and matches the kit applied really well!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I just realised from looking at one of my own pics above that zimmerit is missing along the bottom of the rear turret, darn! Out with the milliput again. :S
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, I'm sure you will do it every bit as well as your other bits you did.

I have a set of the Tamiya Tiger 1 stick on zimmerit that I want to put on a Taigen Tiger. So all this is a great learning curve for me and what I have to do extra for a late version :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Interestingly, it seems that zim was not applied to the Tiger front sloping glacis, even though all scale models seem to have it applied? On top of this, of course is the length of the war, campaign location, Late production timescales, and zimmerit use timescales. They all overlap, so a late war T1 may not have had any zimmerit at all, and an early one in Africa likewise. Oh, how I love this hobby! :D :D :D

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... r-i-tanks/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, I find it funny that a mid Tiger was more likely to have zimmerit than a late, yet there seems to be an almost obsession with having zimmerit on a late Tiger.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

When was it that they decided that the protection offered was not worth the time and cost of applying it. The Russian troops soon learned to toss the magnetic mines on a level top plate.

From a purely cosmetic modelling point of view l like it, and fitting it is a fun challenge too but you do need good, soft decals and plenty of liquid softening agent.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Other Builds”