Torro Late Production Tiger 1 Restoration

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Torro Late Production Tiger 1 Restoration

Post by wibblywobbly »

I picked this one up off Ebay, bit of a bargain. Metal recoiling barrel, torsion bar suspension, gearboxes on a metal plate, muzzle flash, zimmerit, switches and volume under the front hatches, and came in a huge aluminium flight case. The gearboxes 'look' like HL white metal, but they must be steel gears as it runs silently and smooth as silk.

Downside was a grey upper, and camo lower, but as I will airbrush it to match my KT and Panther this isn't a problem.

It needs decent sound, so I am looking at either trying to replicate a TCB using an Arduino 2560 (I already have a couple), with a PWM>Sbus converter, 2 speed controllers, and a Benedini Mini Clone, or using a Clark TK22 from a different tank, and hooking the Mini up to that for better sounds. I may have to create the soundfiles for the Mini, but as I used to do that for my old Elmod boards, that wouldn't be a problem.

I picked up my bottle of Asda cheapie non-acetone nail varnish, a pack of cotton wool, and rubbed the upper hull. The original camo started to appear, so I went over the whole thing. The grey came straight off. Great!

The aeriel stowage tube was sanded off, and all of the accessories removed, they weren't glued on, so that was a nice simple job.

Next job will be to strip the upper down, and sand off the tools, then fit nice metal jobbies, along with tow rope brackets etc. The running gear is in A1 condition, so as to whether I fit metal tracks is up for debate at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_20190807_101944.jpg
IMG_20190807_101714.jpg
IMG_20190805_133033.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Torro Late Production Tiger 1 Restoration

Post by jarndice »

Nice catch and very nice plan :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Lots of Torro Tiger 1's appearing on the forum lately. . . .

Yeah, great catch Mr Wobbly :thumbup:

I'm really impressed by how that grey paint came off :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good score !!
This should be an exciting one ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Best paint remover on the planet and as cheap as chips. Nail varnish remover for plastic nails, it doesn't contain acetone so it won't damage the plastic. It shifts paint incredibly well, I used it on a clear Lexan rock crawler bodyshell, which had two coats on both the inside and outside, it took the whole lot off. Just gentle wiping with cotton wool. :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It might be a good idea to put "Acetone Free Nail Varnish Remover" in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the Forum.
Headed Paint Remover.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:It might be a good idea to put "Acetone Free Nail Varnish Remover" in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the Forum.
Headed Paint Remover.
I've just quoted Mr WibblyWobbly in the Scarecrow (Rocketman) thread about paint stripper for models.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Well Mick as we both seem to agree that it is both a Tip and a Trick perhaps that is the section of the Forum it should go to :thumbup:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Got to love a good late Tiger I.

I’ve been uhmming and ahing about doing a Tamiya later Tiger but the wheels are rather expensive.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Yep, off you go Mr WibblyWobbly :thumbup:

Return to “Other Builds”