HengLong King Tiger Porsche Turret

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

HengLong King Tiger Porsche Turret

Post by Will01Capri »

Hi Guys
I recently bought another few tanks as i have missed them recently with all the trucks & rat rods etc.
So i picked up a HL KT with Porsche turret that was made up of different colour parts haha.
So far i have partially stripped the tank and primed, the whole tank, although i didn't remove the wheels. Everything is in red primer, although the tracks i have built up with various colours of grey, silver, red, orange and yellow and then finally sprayed lightly with black. This works quite nicely when you start running them as the colours scrape through and gives the tracks a good mottled rusty appearance and gets better with age and use.

It doesn't look like much but here it is currently

It does have smoke and sound and it actually seems to run really well. I like it, but i want it to look the part.

Now the questions, did the KT have Zimmerit applied with the Porsche Turrets? I heard somewhere that 3 Porsche Turret KT's did not have it applied, but i cannot find many details
What sort of camo pattern should it have?

As for the running, i am going to leave the motors and tracks and wheels stock, unless of course i break something. It just works well and it is good fun, i just want something for some model demos to start with, without breaking the bank.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HengLong King Tiger Porsche Turret

Post by Jofaur86 »

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

thanks for info, Google Translate has been my friend haha :)
I am getting more tempted to make a Prototype without the Zimmerite, i just need to get pictures now to confirm tooling placement and wire cables if they ever had any of course
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

The following was translated from the following page(hope this is ok :))
http://did.panzer.pagesperso-orange.fr/Zimmerit.html

The Zimmerit, this one word immediately makes think Panzer!
This material is used to protect the Panzer from mines and other magnetic devices intended to destroy them.

The German armored troops are constantly searching for effective means of struggle against magnetic mines. As of January 1943, several techniques are used and tested with more or less success:
- Coat the surfaces of the tank with cement laitance mixed with fine sand to a thickness of 3 to 5 millimeters.
- Coat surfaces with a layer of bitumen or tar mixed with gravel (except in hot countries where this mixture flows by itself ...).
- Paint the surfaces with a very thick paint in several layers.

In February 1943, these solutions are submitted to the high command without success, moreover the tar version is refused by the troops, increasing the risk of ignition tanks. In the spring of 1943, several chemical firms were contacted and ordered to design and manufacture a substance resembling a bituminous mastic, it is the firm CWZ (Chemische Werk Zimmer und Kie) which is designated to manufacture this material, the Zimmerit's name comes from there, she receives a shielding plate for testing and with the following requirements for this new material:
- be low inflammable
- Good adhesion on metal surfaces
- Easily repairable on the ground
- Be as light as possible. In addition it must be used to "break" the large flat surfaces of armored vehicles that tend to emit reflections.

The production starts in the summer of 1943 in the CWZ plant in Berlin, another factory is planned to produce this material, it is the Birkigt factory in Czechoslovakia, the latter to take over the case where the factory of Berlin would succumb to allied bombs.
This paste is stable at high temperatures and also at very low temperatures, apparently it also serves as a temperature regulator inside the armor .... This paste must be applied; in theory ; on a clean and dry surface, possibly covered with a red-brick anti-rust paint, it is affixed in factories manufacturing Panzer, but as always, examples prove that it has been applied in the field by the PZ workshops. .Rgt.

Its application is done in three stages: application of a first layer of 5 mm, then drying of 24 hours, then application of a second layer of 4 mm which is modeled with a spatula, then drying with the lamp to be welded, lamp soldering which specifies the regulation must not approach within 1 to 2 cm under penalty of burning zimmerit, the heat evaporates the solvents in the preparation promoting the grip of the paste on the steel. This drying method is mandatory because without a soldering lamp, the zimmerit takes almost 8 days to dry, which is unthinkable in 1943!

Zimmerit is applied to all vertical or slightly inclined surfaces that are likely to be accessible to a mine, but once again the photographs show us applications on fenders, chests, schurzen and others ...

The composition (with some variations depending on the sources) is as follows:
- Spath or Borium sulphate (stony ore) 34%
- Tripoli or zinc sulphate 4%
- Ocher pigment 17%
- Wood Powder 9%
- 36% varnish (85% mowilith and 15% resin mixed with solvents)

The quantities required according to the armored vehicles vary (the thickness also varies according to the qualities of the handler):
70 Kgs for a StuG., 100 Kgs for a Pz.IV, 160 Kgs for a Panther, 200 Kg for a Tiger

On September 9, 1944, the High Command will give orders to use it while supplies last. This is why we will find zimmerit until the end of the war.

The first Panzer equipped on an experimental basis are the Pz.III in very small numbers, the zimmerit will be applied against mass applied on Pz.IV, Panther, Tiger, StuG.III, StuH.42, StuG.IV, Jagd.IV , Jagdpanther, Jagtiger, Brummbar, Elephant, Wirbelwind, Ostwind and exceptionally on Marder.III, Sd.Kfz.251.

Here are the typical (most common) examples of Zimmerit application depending on the panzer:

The most common of all (with lines of separation or without): Pz.IV, Panther, Tiger I and II, Brummbar, Jagd.IV, StuG.IV (krupp), Pz.III.Ausf.M, Jadgtiger case ( 2/3), Elephant box (3/4), Sturmtiger box (smooth casemate), as well as Wirbelwind and Ostwind (box only)

Variant of above, on Pz.IV, Panther

Embossed style - StuG.III (from Ausf.G) from Alkett factories essentially

StuG.IV - First 50 copies out of Daimler Benz

Large Checkers, Panther, Jagdpanther (1st model)

Small checkers, Panther, Jagdpanther (1st model), StuG.III (out of factories of Miag and from Ausf.G)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Heng Long Builds”