Early Tiger I - Taigen Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
orntar
Private

Re: Early Tiger I - Taigen Build

Post by orntar »

I got some parts in finally, and started on the tools and rear plate. From Voyager I gor the mid production detail set for detailing out the clamps and fixtures, of course I can't use it all for an early Tiger. From ECA I got a front hull blower, light conduit set, exhaust flip caps, and a an early Notect Convoy light. The later will be posted soon.

Here you can see the tool clamps, blower and conduit sets.

I then started on detailing the tools. I got a mato ,metal tool set from ebay, but it did not include the larger hammer and the pry bar was much too small.

So I made a new hammer and pry bar.

Fire extinguisher and crank bar.

Then onto the new jack, still need to make the foot. The glue is currently drying on that.

Look at this tiny pawl that is for the jack crank handle! Needless to say, I did not use it.
Last edited by orntar on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Nice wheat penny. Your details parts look nice I’ll definitely be following this build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

These PE sets add a lot of detail for a very resonate price. Have the Aber set for my Tiger but used the Voyager PE for the Panther, both good sets. Voyager is a bit thin materialise but seems to be easier to work with.
That small piece beside the penny should be the ratchet piece.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Will follow this thread, I have a Taigen Late version on the way that I got for bargain money on Ebay. I've done a few Tigers but like an idiot I sold the last one.

The steps were put on originally, but usually removed in Russia. They were a very handy way for Russian troops to climb onto the hull and stick mines on the turret, or throw grenades down the hatches. 8O
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
orntar
Private

Post by orntar »

Thanks for the info wibblywobly. Maybe I should have left them off. but I like the look, and they are on.

Made some slow progress today. I put magnets in the air cleaners and pipes for easy removal. Read about it on this forum.
Here it is in action.

I plan on using the brass covers from voyager, so I cut up the plastic ones that came with the tank for reinforcement for the exhaust stacks. I plan on using cement and screws.

I put the tube thru the center and filled in the opening. Once painted and behind the cast cover and sheet metal protectors you wont see the extra plastic.

I added the ECA exhaust flappers.

Added lift lugs and texture to the cast covers.
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That’s looking great. Can’t wait to see it finished. But then again are they ever really finished?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The early Tigers did have flappers on the exhaust which were usually secured open unless "Fording" but the covers/caps came later.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nice work so for Mr Orntar, a Tiger build is really a trip down the 'rabbit hole' indeed.
many options and many variations of those options.
Your one with the earlier timeslot will need a flattened mantlet and driver binocular peep holes as well I think :crazy: , but those driver peep holes could be welded over too :shifty:
Thanks for pitching up & showing pictures, they are allegedly worth a thousand words. :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hi Mr orntar, great stuff so far :clap: And thank you for sharing :thumbup:

I've just noticed something. When you removed the moulded on tools from the hull, you left the left hand (as seen from the back) aerial tube that wasn't on the real tanks in that place.
I'm really surprised Mr jarndice didn't point that out 8O
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
orntar
Private

Post by orntar »

Thanks Jimster.

Jarndice, so they flappers are appropriate?

Herman Bix, this is the mantlet I have. It should not have the raised portion?

Son of a gunner, Good catch. I will remove one. I assume the storage is on the side where the aerial mounts?
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid

Return to “Other Builds”