1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 1946 Panther ~ Jnewboy Customs

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yeah I like it with the saw tooth white wash.
You going to add deck and roof armour?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Yeah I like it with the saw tooth white wash.
You going to add deck and roof armour?
You guessed it! but not just the top but the front also. I was inspired by this model.

Image1/35 Paper Panzer by jon newsom, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by jon newsom, on Flickr

I painted the gun and cut out the new front plate.

I make tiny notches all the way around the plate then sand it to give it a look like it was raw and cut in the field by a torch.

I make the parts ruff by coating them with spray paint and letting it snow down on top. I will paint tomorrow.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice trick with the dremel makes for a more realistic rough cut Jon. I assume you spray the paint across the surface and what sprinkles on makes a rough cast texture.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

c.rainford73 wrote:Nice trick with the dremel makes for a more realistic rough cut Jon. I assume you spray the paint across the surface and what sprinkles on makes a rough cast texture.
Just point the can about 1 foot away and at an angle. That way it kinda snows down on the object instead of coating it. It creates a rough texture that looks great when I weather it later.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Eastern Front wrote:Nice build..
Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!
That would be cool but I have only seen that setup on the e50. I wanted this to be a Frankenstein of Panthers thrown together in a last ditch effort in 1946.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Jon I've seen your work before (Jagdtiger build) etc....and am taking notes as you proceed. Nice tips along the way!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Fantastic build with some awesome ideas. I especially like the bare steel sections. Plan to do something like that on one of my 1/35th scale kits in the future.
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Since you went the extra mile with the steel wheels, will you go the extra length and use the Tiger II transport tracks and 18 tooth sprockets? That would be correct for a Panther "F" or a 1946 or later Panther had the war dragged on.....

Cheers!
The Panther F did not use the steel road wheels, this was a trial run on about 28 Ausf G's, after the war representatives from M.A.N said that the Panther F was going to have the steel wheels but there is no documentation to support this
The Panther F was effectively just a slightly modified Ausf G hull with the new Schmalturm (narrow turret)

The Panther with the Tiger transport tracks was the Panther II which began development as a replacement to the Ausf D and adopted a part commonality with the Tiger 2 to ease production mid way through its development (it was never going to have an 88mm) but the project fizzled out due to the introduction of side skirts to the Panther D which meant that it was no longer worth making entirely new production lines, however the tank did continue very limited development similar to that of the E-100, many design features of the Panther II were incorporated into the Ausf G like the redesigned panniers and thicker side armour, engine deck layout, rotating periscopes etc as well as the idea to test steel road wheels on the Panther 1

Only one mild steel prototype of the Panther II was ever built and it never recived its intended turret (it was never even built) it was captured by the US and shipped back to Aberdeen proving grounds after the war, it was then sent to Detroit for testing then went back to Aberdeen and was fitted with the turret of an Ausf G, it was then transferred to the Patton museum in Fort Knox where it was restored and fitted with a different Ausf G turret

It is currently housed at the Fort Benning armour collection along with many other unique prototypes
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Eastern Front wrote:
STHV wrote:

Cheers!
The Panther F did not use the steel road wheels, this was a trial run on about 28 Ausf G's, after the war representatives from M.A.N said that the Panther F was going to have the steel wheels but there is no documentation to support this
The Panther F was effectively just a slightly modified Ausf G hull with the new Schmalturm (narrow turret)

The Panther with the Tiger transport tracks was the Panther II which began development as a replacement to the Ausf D and adopted a part commonality with the Tiger 2 to ease production mid way through its development (it was never going to have an 88mm) but the project fizzled out due to the introduction of side skirts to the Panther D which meant that it was no longer worth making entirely new production lines, however the tank did continue very limited development similar to that of the E-100, many design features of the Panther II were incorporated into the Ausf G like the redesigned panniers and thicker side armour, engine deck layout, rotating periscopes etc as well as the idea to test steel road wheels on the Panther 1

Only one mild steel prototype of the Panther II was ever built and it never recived its intended turret (it was never even built) it was captured by the US and shipped back to Aberdeen proving grounds after the war, it was then sent to Detroit for testing then went back to Aberdeen and was fitted with the turret of an Ausf G, it was then transferred to the Patton museum in Fort Knox where it was restored and fitted with a different Ausf G turret

It is currently housed at the Fort Benning armour collection along with many other unique prototypes
STHV, You are partially correct.
Germany was going to start production on the Panther II, yes they made a 1 prototype, but were making more (There is a picture with I think 4 or 5 Panther II hulls on the Hannover production line) , However, M.A.N found that the Schurzen on the "G" was adequate to protect the tank from hand held anti armor devices. Germany decided to produce the "F", it would use the schmalturm and have the other upgrades of the Panther II design, that being rubber saving road wheels (Steel) and using the same tracks and drive system (Sprocket, Idlers) that the King Tiger uses, That being the New 18 tooth sprockets and the transport tracks. The Field tracks the King Tiger used were not necessary as the Panther did not require the lower ground pressure due to its lighter weight. There is documentation of this from the War files of the Bundeswehr archives and a few Panther references..

Cheers!
Is this the image you are reffering to?
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

Eastern Front wrote:Yup, I beleive that is the picture...

Thanks, saved me from digging and scanning! :thumbup:

Cheers!
Hulls 2,3,5 and 7 are Ausf F, the rest are Ausf G
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)