Paint stripper for models

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Scarecrow
Recruit

Paint stripper for models

Post by Scarecrow »

Hi guys

Rocketman here. For some reason my old log in doesn't work.

Anyway I need to strip an entire 1/16 tank. Any suggestions. The one I've tried just reduces bits to a cleggy mess(and yes it is a plastic model stripper)

Does anyone have any experience in the UK with using brake fluid as a stripper? If so can you recommend a brand and type?
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Paint stripper for models

Post by forgebear »

try mr muscle spray oven cleaner take your tank to bits and place in a poly bag spray oven cleaner in leave it 24hrs wash off and use a toothbrush to clean repeat process :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s my 2 cents worth. I’m not in the UK but I’ve used common brake fluid to strip model railroad plastic locomotive shells and rolling stock for 35 years. I simply apply with an old toothbrush and check it every 15-30 minutes until the paint scrubs off easily. The time varies so be cautious. I’ve never melted the plastic with it so far. Be sure to test an inconspicuous area first just in case and wear vinyl gloves.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
Personal use,break fluid,but a little greasy or so this ( picture ) wich is top,because for me decape
Oven since deleted some toxics products in the formula ?is not as effective for Use Européens ??for the " Glanzer ",small pieces to soak,large pieces wiith brush :thumbup:
Apply same os abowe,rinse with wather and détergent ;)
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG (48.79 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Price Hyper market 3/6 €
paulc
Private

Post by paulc »

I myself brought a second hand Tamiya king tiger and although the build was good and had a couple of after market bits fitted the paint job was horrid. I used Mr muscle oven cleaner sprayed over and left in a bag for a couple of mins then scrubbed at it with an old toothbrush. this removed the paint I had to hit a couple of spots a few times but did the trick. the only thing I found was the paint had stained the plastic, but a coat of primer and your well away. I don't know if this is due to the type of paint as I don't know if it was painted using acrylics or enamels, But it worked for me. just remember to really rinse of afterwards.
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I've used the Easy-Off method for years, never harmed any plastic or vinyl kits I used it on. The regular stinky, eat your skin stuff seems to work best, and it seems to work better on flat paints than gloss.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I've seen most of the above used successfully but, just out of interest, has anyone ever asked the major paint manufacturers? I'd have thought acrylics would need something different from enamel, polycarbonate etc. I wish you luck!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I once contacted testors about removing flat enamel from the rattle can, and they recommended Easy-Off oven cleaner.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m going to use Easy Off next time just to try it out.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I was stripping the paint from a 1/48 scale c-47 airplane, and they told me to spray on a good coat of Easy-Off, let it sit for about 45 minutes, and then run it under cold water and scrub with a toothbrush. Repeat as necessary. That worked great, and that's been my paint stripping method ever since.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”