Problems with Heng Long Jagdpanther (PARTIALLY SOLVED)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Rettinger
Recruit

Problems with Heng Long Jagdpanther (PARTIALLY SOLVED)

Post by Rettinger »

Hello!
Two months ago my gf gave me my first RC Tank as a gift. It is a Heng Long Jagdpanther (3869).
However, I've had a few problems since the start that led to a series of other consequences and more problems...
I am going to list every problem so perhaps you can help me to find a solution!!

PROBLEM 1 - Slipping tracks

After the initial shock and surprise of such an amazing present in the morning, I assembled the tank and charged the batteries to go and play with it.
After some hours the batteries were full and we went to a park to try and play with the tank.
It was amazing, super fun and a very powerful! However after a pair of hours I noticed that the tracks started to slip off the idlers; both them.
Every time I moved the tracks into place, they slipped off again. That worried me a lot.
Later that night I researched about the problem and it seems it was somehow common. Many people upgraded their tanks with metal tracks, idlers and wheels; and I thought it was a fantastic idea!

Being located in Spain, I found a German dealer and I bought the metal tracks, metal wheels and idlers.

PROBLEM 2 - Incompatible wheels

When I got the package from Germany I was excited to upgrade my tank so I started to dissasembled it. I took pictures of the command board to have a reference of how all cables were connected and carefully removed everything.
But once I liberated the hull I noticed something terrible: the metal wheels didn't matched the plastic suspension arms and I don't had the proper hardware to assemble neither the metal idlers, traction wheels or tracks.

Really pissed off, I assembled the tank again with his stock parts and I've connected everything following the pictures I took earlier. That led to another problem.

PROBLEM 3 - The tank has "died"

I had the tank assembled again. But then when I wanted to try it again, nothing happened. The battery was full, the command board had all the components correctly connected, the controller had battery and was working. But not the tank.
Every time I switched it to ON, it was like it's dead: nothing happened.

I reassembled the tank many times, double-checking all the time that I was connecting everything on the correct place.
But nothing. The tank literally died.

Totally pissed off, I decided that I was not letting it to die. I had the metal parts getting dust on a box, and with them all the money I invested.
So I placed another order to the German dealer: upgraded metal hull, "3 in 1 Pro Steel gearset flat motors long axis with full sets flange bearings" and a few other decorations.

PROBLEM 4 - Incompatibility with the motor and the command board!

When I received the package from Germany I instantly started to assemble all the parts together. This time I had all the proper hardware and I researched on a lot of pages to have an idea of how to properly work on it.

I assembled the new metal hull, the pro motor and all the metal wheels and tracks with ease, and proceeded to connect all the other parts together again.
Then, I had another bad surprise: the cables of the new motor didn't matched with the command board.
So again, I have an expensive and amazing Tank dying on a shelve.

This is the new motor:

And this is the stock command board: (Heng Long TK-6.0)

PROBLEM 5 - Do I need a new command board?

I was researching a bit about the command boards and I found one that matched with the cables of my new motor:

And according to the German dealer, this command board matches with the controller of the new generation Heng Long tanks like mine.
But again, this leads me to yet a new problem...

PROBLEM 6 - Will the new command board be compatible with my controller?

Okay so I can simply buy a new command board, connect all the parts together again and pray for it to work.
However, what about the compatibility with my controler? I don't know how a controller is linked to a command board, and I fear that while I can buy that new board, the controller will not recognize it...
It's like a nightmare :'(

So what can I do? Has anyone had the same or similar problems?
Right now I only wish to put that Tank back into action and enjoy the hell out of it!!
Last edited by Rettinger on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Problems with Heng Long Jagdtiger!

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening :D
The TK-6.0 is the improved vrsion of the RX 18,more faithful sounds,rolling,accélértion,etc.Possible plugged more Leds for lighting,etc.Perso i would say that the for le the Radio (TX ) is the same,just that it ill have to the " Binder " paired with the new platinum :D
Schéma TK-6.0
IMG_5368.JPG
Schéma RX 18
IMG_4763.JPG
Rettinger
Recruit

Post by Rettinger »

Jofaur86 wrote:Good evening :D
The TK-6.0 is the improved vrsion of the RX 18,more faithful sounds,rolling,accélértion,etc.Possible plugged more Leds for lighting,etc.Perso i would say that the for le the Radio (TX ) is the same,just that it ill have to the " Binder " paired with the new platinum :D
Schéma TK-6.0
IMG_5368.JPG
Schéma RX 18
IMG_4763.JPG
Hello! The main problem is that the new motor I bought for the tank has cables with connectors that does not match with those of the TK-6.0 board. So it's like I have a new powerfull (and expensive) motor that is useless to the board and hence to the tank.
However, the previous RX 18 board has the same connectors as my new motor; so I assume I have to buy that board in order to have the Tank running. My only concern is if the controller will be recognized by the board and vice-versa :think:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Reading the post,then again to reread,I was wrong an the TK06 motor son used are with mâle pods,idem Tamiya ??you wild find this at Norauto,Midas,greens lights,etc,and you can easily reweld new wures on the ngines,do not change anything on TK ? Cause waranty,si problems.Possible also order matching ? but for me first ideal version :thumbup:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
The motors you have purchased simply have the old 5.3 version mfu plugs on, the tk6.0 has bayonet fittings for the motors you need to simply fit male (i believe ) bayonet fittings to you motor wires and plug them into the tk6.0 motor female bayonet fittings.
The transmitter as far as i know on the tk6.0 is different from the v5.3 earlier version and is not compatable as it has a totally different electronics board inside (even though it looks the same ) as the tk6.0 has many more functions than the earlier v5.3 activated by multiple combinations of the transmitter buttons.
Make sure you have plugged the power into the correct port on the tk 6.0 mfu.
And pressed the engine start button on the transmitter to wake up the mfu,

If your model came as standard with the tk6.0 version then the old motors will have had bayonet fittings didnt they ???

Hope this helps
Sub.
Rettinger
Recruit

Post by Rettinger »

Sub wrote:Hi.
The motors you have purchased simply have the old 5.3 version mfu plugs on, the tk6.0 has bayonet fittings for the motors you need to simply fit male (i believe ) bayonet fittings to you motor wires and plug them into the tk6.0 motor female bayonet fittings.
The transmitter as far as i know on the tk6.0 is different from the v5.3 earlier version and is not compatable as it has a totally different electronics board inside (even though it looks the same ) as the tk6.0 has many more functions than the earlier v5.3 activated by multiple combinations of the transmitter buttons.
Make sure you have plugged the power into the correct port on the tk 6.0 mfu.
And pressed the engine start button on the transmitter to wake up the mfu,

If your model came as standard with the tk6.0 version then the old motors will have had bayonet fittings didnt they ???

Hope this helps
Sub.
Thanks for your answer!
That said, the RX18 board will not be compatible with my controller?

And yes, the new TK-6.0 board has bayonet fittings that are incompatible with my new motor plugs. One thing I thought was to take off the new motors (only the motors but not the metal structure) and replace them with my stock motors that came with the tank and the TK-6.0 board, but it will be a shame to have such great motors unused. Another thing that I can try is to simply swap cables, but I don't have any tool to weld them so I think it's not a good idea at all...

Still I have the problem that it looks that my tank has died. Since I dissasembled it for the first time, I didn't worked again and I've tried to plug and unplug all the components many times, with no luck :'(
Rettinger
Recruit

Post by Rettinger »

I've plugged some of the stock components again, just the loud speaker and the motors to have the basics.
And again: nothing.

I've plugged everything into the right place and the battery is charged. But when I press the power on, I press the controller on and I press the start-up key (that one with a locker embeded into it) nothing happens!! There is no sound, and the motors are not responding.
After a minute or two, the controller starts to blep and the red led goes on and off.

What the hell is happening? I am doing something wrong I didn't noticed yet?
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Thx for the photograph.
Sorry to say but Thats a disaster waiting to happen as i notice all the connectors are not insulated...if they have touched whilst powered on then they may have shorted and blown the board if it does not have any short circuit protection.
Never leave power cables un insulated when applying power to the board.
It could also be that the board has become un bound from the transmitter....but i dont have a tk 6.0 to help you try to re bind it sorry....some on here do have them maybe they can help.
Good luck.
Sub.
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Hi, try rebinding the transmitter to the board to see if its no longer bound ???
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
First insulate all connections.

Try this ( page 9 manual... start tank )

Switch tank off, connect battery
switch transmitter on press and HOLD start button WHILST switching tank on hold until lights come on and sound.
Thats how you BIND the transmitter to the board.
Sub.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”