Soldering Iron Recomendations?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Xorinnane
Recruit

Soldering Iron Recomendations?

Post by Xorinnane »

Hey,
I was wondering about which soldering iron https://besttoolexpert.com/soldering-gun I should get. I don’t have a soldering iron, but I’d like to get one that I will not be disappointed with. It needs to do all regular RC stuff like bullets, battery connectors, etc. I don’t want it to be too terribly expensive. Hopefully around $40, but I don’t know how much a good one costs.

(P.S. if there is a better category to put this is, please let me know. This was the closest I could figure)
Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Xorinnane on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Soldering Iron Recomendations?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Moving to general QUESTIONS.

This is the section for showing off models.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I have three soldering irons of different wattages (light duty to heavy duty); but the one I like most for model related work (motors, PCBs, connectors., u.s.w) is this one:
Antex S582470 XS25 230V PVC BP Soldering Iron
At 25 watts- for light work, it functions well, and there is also a good range of alternate tips available. For a budget iron, I found it to be good value.
Antex 25w soldering iron.
Antex 25w soldering iron.
Antex soldering iron.jpeg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Add $10.00 to your budget and get a Dremel Butane Soldering Iron. Has lots of different tips for different functions like cutting or torching,etc... as well as soldering. I spent a lot of wasted money on cheap irons that ran cool or literally had the grip melt in my hand and they all made soldering a chore. The Dremel Versa-Tip iron turned soldering into a fun part of the Build again. Link: https://www.dremel.com/productimages/200001_Kitlg.jpg
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Painless as ever has beat me to it :haha: ,
What I would add that makes the Dremel Versatip so much better than the conventional electric soldering iron is using it in conjunction with "Fryolux Paint".
Use it instead of solder and flux, Merely paint it on and use the versatip to make the join,
Try it once and you wont go back to the old ways.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You'll need one that is the equivalent of at least 80watts to solder batteries together using connecting straps. You need lots of heat to get a quick joint before the cells get hot.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

+1, and a set of various tips.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”