So today I bought this..

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
sinj
Recruit

Re: So today I bought this..

Post by sinj »

Son of a gun-ner wrote::clap: :clap: bravo sir :thumbup:

Now make it in steel ;)

With close inspection of the pro box, it looks like the top of the motor is inline with the top of the two screws that hold the bracket to the gearbox.

Sorry, got to say, if you have this bracket as a test piece, I really would consider making the final bracket out of steel. Under load when you get this beast rolling, that aluminium plate is more likely to flex, and the brass motor pinion will only need to be out of mesh a little for it to get damaged and strip.
Also I noticed the plate/bracket is slightly spaced off the gearbox, it would be better if you could get them tighter together, would make it more stable, and align the pinion more with the first driven gear.
You may have to do a little indent where one of the gear shaft bushes goes. Also I would use a minimum of 2mm thick steel.
Good points. I was going to have this as a final piece but did wonder if alloy would flex, steel it is then. The spacer was to allow the head of the motor retaining screw. I can see what your saying from your observations so will act on them. We have no steel plate at work so will need to source some.
Thank you for your comment, phase two rectifying this mount will start soon
John
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Cool. I wasn't trying to put your efforts down :thumbup:

Not sure if you are aware, but you can get cigarette rolling papers from a company called Rizla, they do different coloured packs, if you get the green pack, the papers are slightly thinner than the red/orange pack, about half a thousandth of an inch thinner. If I remember correctly, the red is three thou, and the greens are two and a half thou thick.
When setting up your gear mesh. Put a green paper in between the pinion and the driven gear to get a good mesh. You just turn the gears to remove the paper after all is tightened up.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Cool. I wasn't trying to put your efforts down :thumbup:

Not sure if you are aware, but you can get cigarette rolling papers from a company called Rizla, they do different coloured packs, if you get the green pack, the papers are slightly thinner than the red/orange pack, about half a thousandth of an inch thinner. If I remember correctly, the red is three thou, and the greens are two and a half thou thick.
When setting up your gear mesh. Put a green paper in between the pinion and the driven gear to get a good mesh. You just turn the gears to remove the paper after all is tightened up.
I know of Rizla but not that papers are different thickness. Makes for cheap Plastigauge.
Great tip.
John
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, they're quite handy. There is also blue ones, I think they are the thinnest. Been so long since I used them.
Thinking about it, the green ones may be the same thickness as the red ones. One of the colours all they did was remove two corners to make it easier to roll with a little rolling gadget.
I'll take a look later for some and report back lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:The Panther looks fine, actually. Maybe a touch of muting of the colours on the wheels might do the trick. You'll find plenty of examples of other Panther camo schemes in the Forum archives, when you have the time, and one or two showing useful methods of 'ageing' the paintwork subtly. All your model needs is a slight bit of toning down (ageing). Otherwise, you have a nice model there. :thumbup:
For what it's worth, I totally agree! Remember that if you go lightly on the weathering, you can always add more to get the effect that you want. Trying to "undo" weathering, can be a little bit more work to undo. I found this out first hand when I went overboard when using pastel chalks to weather my Sherman.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

mutt71 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:The Panther looks fine, actually. Maybe a touch of muting of the colours on the wheels might do the trick. You'll find plenty of examples of other Panther camo schemes in the Forum archives, when you have the time, and one or two showing useful methods of 'ageing' the paintwork subtly. All your model needs is a slight bit of toning down (ageing). Otherwise, you have a nice model there. :thumbup:
For what it's worth, I totally agree! Remember that if you go lightly on the weathering, you can always add more to get the effect that you want. Trying to "undo" weathering, can be a little bit more work to undo. I found this out first hand when I went overboard when using pastel chalks to weather my Sherman.
It’s the reason it’s not progressed. I’m scared to cock up the weathering! I’m going to read through this forum and I’ve been watching YouTube as well. The scratches etc I feel ok with but it’s tge overall dusting and splattering that I’m nervous of getting wrong. Stupid I know.
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

With weathering, its not how you start, but how you finish that gives you the end result.
But you need to start somewhere.
Remember, a tank in combat has multiple aspects of weather effects playing upon it.
Is it in a very wet theatre of operations ?
Is it in a very dry/dusty T.O.O. ?
Does it rain much ?
Does that rain wash dust off?
Does the rain wash the dust off and then turn the dry earth to mud ?
Does the mud get thrown up ?
European soil is generally quite dark, and sticky.............when it dries, its going to be clumpy and pronounced.
German tanks had little time to recover and refit/repair as they were always on the defensive by the time Jagdpanthers were on the scene, so any that were operational would not have time to waste cleaning or otherwise mucking around dodging the masses of enemy ground forces, plus the relentless threat of air attack.

So.........how much is too much ?
The day, the place, the circumstances, the crew, the environment, ...............your tank-your way.
As is the almost immortal statement from an outfit that makes shoes "just do it"
And our equally important mantra "just show us"............pictures please. ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

HERMAN BIX wrote: ......
So.........how much is too much ?
The day, the place, the circumstances, the crew, the environment, ...............your tank-your way.
As is the almost immortal statement from an outfit that makes shoes "just do it"
And our equally important mantra "just show us"............pictures please. ;)
Thank you for this reply. Very inspiring. You’re right of course, I’ve got to jump in and get involved.
I’ll think about TOO and unit involved and also who manufactured too, MIAG had certain idiosyncratic placements etc. Above all I’m gonna enjoy this and definitely I’ll be documenting as I go. Info passed to me so far has been amazing so thanks to everyone.
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

The intimidation factor is huge, at least it has been for me. Trying something new can be tough.
I just weathered my HL Sherman 105MM with paint, like I always have in the past. I then tried weathering with European pastel chalk. I watched the You tube videos several times, took some notes for reference and started in on it. I did not like how it came out at all. I ended up washing it of and starting over again. If I can do it,I encourage you to do as you want to and ow you want it to look. I am going to try to get some photos up of the Sherman, so you can see what I ended up with.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
sinj
Recruit

Post by sinj »

I get you. I think with reference to Panther, the camo was stenciled and masked. But I’m being a silly. I think I’ll bring the JP up to a level then weather. Got some scratch building to do too. I did a few things on Panther that I’ll do again to JP.
Look forward to seeing the Sherman too
HL Panther G
HL Jadgpanther

Return to “Other Builds”