5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34/85, Cherkassy, Zhurzintsy–Hill 239

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34,WINTER PRE BAGRATION

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Herman,
That's a really good choice of Historical time to set your excellent tank down into. Following along
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Wolf
That battle sure does take some reading up on.
A German Strategic defeat, but a Soviet tactical "missed opportunity" all in one.

Ive added the older style looped bar turret lifting points rather than the later wedge type lifting points. This tank made during this period could have had either, so going with the less trodden path, used paper clips to get the look, with weld added accordingly.
I looked through a few links I found during my old 'Bedspring' build and they are still active & very useful.

Used bits of a sour cream container rim to fill in the cupola slots & bring them down to a better look. Still to add weld material around them all. I did this on my bedspring & had to look back to check what I did it was that long ago !!
Of note, the really cheap WSN T34/85's have vision slit infills on a sprue :/
In fact if I ever get a pair of them together again at the same time, I will graft the WSN turret onto the H/L barrel hardware to make a much more accurate turret for the '43-early 44 build period.

I also took some time to hand form brass strip into straps for the extra fuel tanks & smoke canisters which will be left off.
Once they are added they will be suitably deformed. At the end of the rest of the project.

This was going to be a quicky, but as do the best laid plans of mice & men- its morphed into a full blown project. :problem:
Attachments
P6160007.JPG
P6160006.JPG
P6150011.JPG
P6150010.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looks a bit of a basket case at the moment, but the lure of primer was too great !
Wont be long before its sealed up & ready for paint & reassembly.
Once the welds are done on the cupola vision slots, the turret will be in primer too .
Attachments
P6190007.JPG
P6190006.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34/85, Zhurzintsy–Hill 239

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looking a bit more betterer now.
Added a dabbing of Tamiya putty over the turret surfaces to increase texture & highlight the casting mold seam.
Buttoned up the hull after fitting a set of steel gearboxes that were destined to repair my Zu-Fuss Panther which is far too big a job to comprehend :/
Added some hand formed brass straps for the auxiliary fuel tanks on both flanks which I prefer to be empty of the tanks.
Once fully set, they will be distressed to suit the overall look.
I theorise that these vessels suffered a lot of damage, as well as needing to be manually pumped out into the vehicles fuel tanks for use. They were not directly connected to the vehicle fuel system. So if they were damaged, they would have been removed by the crew until new ones could be supplied.
Tomorrow will get the last shot of primer over the new additions & if it dry, the top coat will go on.
Im going to avoid using the 4BO set & have made up a brew of XF-13 J.A.GREEN, XF-51 KHAKI DRAB, XF-62 FIELD GREY, XF-62 OLIVE DRAB in an even 25% proportion thinned to 50% just to try it.

I also had a massive contract to repair an icon in the figures department. A key member of the team suffered a bit of battle damage & lost the head from the body.
Used a brass picture hanging pin drilled into both the head & body with high impact gel super glue to hopefully recover the thing to normal duties.
Restored to full duty ;)
Attachments
ELSA BEATS A BEHEADING !!
ELSA BEATS A BEHEADING !!
P6220008.JPG
P6220007.JPG
P6220006.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 5TH GUARDS TANK ARMY T34/85, Cherkassy, Zhurzintsy–Hill

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Damned nice work, Herman, on both the T-34\85 and the Team Member. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Been a while.....................got some more done.
Finally got the thing into primer, and then a first top coat of my concoction of various Tamiya paints to make my own version of the venerable 4BO.
In my opinion, 4BO is as much enigmatic as Dunkelgelb :think:
Is it green ?
Is it a Khaki Green ?
What is it ?

What it is is a variation of a green-ish colour, depending on the factory, the supplies available, solvents used, ambient temp at time of use................so many things.
I really just used this tank as a chance to have a try at an alternate to the MIG 4BO set & see how it looks.
Ok I reckon, and its going to have white wash on it, so no big deal to be perfect.
Attachments
P7020013.JPG
P7020012.JPG
P7020011.JPG
P6230006.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Looking great Herman!

The finished tank will make your efforts worth while. :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

:) :thumbup:
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Looks good mate.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Nice work Herman!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Heng Long Builds”