M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 4-28 Update, EAPU Power Distribution/Junction Bo

Post by BarryC »

Short Update, Final Drive Access Panels located on the lower rear hull.

I first shaped the panels from .030" styrene then traced them onto the hull with a #11 Xacto blade. I next chiseled out the area so that the panels would sit flush. I also counter sunk the mount bolt location so they would sit flush as well. I added the external retainer piece then temp installed the Access Panels.

TTFN,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M1A1HA, 4-30 Update, Final Drive Access Panels

Post by Soeren »

I hope the US Army is upgrading its tanks faster than you can work out all the details so we can enjoy your great achievements for a long time. Like the weekly BarryC M1A1 detail post.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Soeren wrote:I hope the US Army is upgrading its tanks faster than you can work out all the details so we can enjoy your great achievements for a long time. Like the weekly BarryC M1A1 detail post.
:haha: I'll do my best to keep up! :thumbup:

Thanks,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks!

Short update and fishing for some possible suggestions. I have installed the Footman Loops on the Reactive Armor Tiles. They serve as attachment points for the canvas straps and buckles used to lift the tiles on and off their mount rails.

I have used Verlinden 1/24 PE Seat Belt Buckles and "some so" called 1/16" ribbon, I say so called because it actually measures 5/64" which is just a little too tight for the openings in the buckles. However the ribbon is also a little too thick and that is a bigger problem.

Here are some picks of the version 1.0 as well as 2.0. The difference is the number of pieces needed to make up the buckle. Version 1.0 is a single PE piece with the roller bar. The version 2.0 has 3 different pieces plus the roller bar. It takes about 30 minutes to make the version 1.0 buckle and another 30 minutes to make the 2.0. I "only" 32 of which ever version I select and I really like the look of the 2.0 as it looks much more accurate though neither is completely accurate.

What I am looking for is possible suggestions for a thinner "ribbon" color is not too relevant as I can dye it to color needed.

The buckle on the right is V1.0 and left is V2.0

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M1A1HA, 5-3 Update, Armor Tile Canvas Handles & Buckles

Post by tankme »

Personally if they are both wrong I would go with the easier one. I think the real straps are this version...you press on the back of the buckle and it releases the strap. I think the real strap is much simpler than the ones you are making. From what I can find it's called a "pioneer strap".
nylonstrap__29146.1518540399.jpg
nylonstrap__29146.1518540399.jpg (5.49 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
s-l640.jpg
s-l640.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 5-3 Update, Armor Tile Canvas Handles & Buckles

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote:Personally if they are both wrong I would go with the easier one. I think the real straps are this version...you press on the back of the buckle and it releases the strap. I think the real strap is much simpler than the ones you are making. From what I can find it's called a "pioneer strap".
Thank you sir!!

That is exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea what they were called and the couple of pics I have did not reveal the true shape of the buckle. With the proper name I have found a number of excellent picks of the buckle. :thumbup: Now I will see what I can come up with that will look more accurate.

Now for some serious scheming. :think:

Thanks again Tankme!
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 5-3 Update, Pioneer Straps for Armor Tiles

Post by BarryC »

With the lead from Tankme and armed with some good pics of the buckle I had a go at the V3.0 version.

It is a little time consuming but not to bad in the grand scheme of things. I think the end results are well worth the effort......I'll see if I still feel the same after I get 32 of them made! :crazy: I have desided to use a smaller diameter tube or piece of brass wire of the non functional center pivot.

TAFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme

Re: M1A1HA, 5-4 Update, Buckle for Pioneer Strap

Post by tankme »

No problem. Been looking at those straps for my Abrams build. Not as detailed as yours, but hey... :) Theoretically the buckle is just two pieces of stamped metal with tabs pushed up and a pivot pin. It's actually a very simple design and I'm sure it's pretty easy to manufacture. Since the pieces start out flat, I'm sure these could be photo-etched pretty easily. There are some vids out there on DIY photo-etching. Micro-Mark even sells a photo-etch kit...kinda pricey, but may be worth your sanity.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Mark-Pr ... fkQAvD_BwE
Derek
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I have often considered learning how to photo etch but to me it does not seem practical. From what I've read to achieve quality PE results the learning is a lengthy process. I simply do not wish to devote the time or expense needed to learn. Then there is also the needed and expense to properly dispose of the waste and used chemicals.

You are correct though it is a very simple design and could easily be accomplished with PE. I think I'm going to send this simple drawing to a couple of firms that specialize in PE and get a quote. If they can put 40 sets onto a single sheet and it is not too expensive then I might get them done. In the mean time I'm going to press on with the Bustle Extension.

I still need to add dimensions to the drawing but here's what I have.

TTFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme

Post by tankme »

Barry,

If you get a price on those buckles I'd be willing to buy a few sheets (like 3) of them if it will lower the cost some. I could use them on both my MRAP and Abrams builds. If not, it's no biggie.

Derek
Derek

Return to “Modern Builds”