TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That looks fantastic :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Eastern Front wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:
And a small correction, tamiya uses ABS in some parts too. For example the road wheels and return rollers of the Panzer IV.
I have built three of these so far, I can say the road wheels and return rollers are a Styrene type of plastic. I only say this because the glue I use does not work on ABS, its for Styrene and I use it when assembling my wheels, and it works on them. If they were ABS they would not bond at all.

Cheers!
That is not corret.

The road wheels and return rollers are indeed ABS. The color in the sprues is a bit different to the other sprues. When you take the parts away from the sprue, you can notice the plastic is way way harder than the rest of the parts styrene. I have read you should also Tamiya ABS glue for it (as I did and worked) And I thing the sprue also says ABS.

Nothing wront there. Even better, if the return rollers were styrene they would wear way faster than if they were ABS.

Some more info here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... tions.html

Take a look at all tamiya manuals and builds, I think the Leopard also comes with ABS parts.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

I really enjoy the work that everyone does on this board. I also respect everyone's opinion, likes and dislikes, etc. To each their own and Carpe Diem! Just MHO.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Resting for CROWS
Resting for CROWS
I continue to detail Tamiya M1A2 Abrams little by little. Now that the M153 CROWS mount is ready for installation, I used an LED chip to synchronize the flicker and sound of the M2 machine gun. It is a video of M2 machine gun.

phpBB [video]

There are still many parts to detail in this model. The black one on the turret is resting when CROWS is folded sideways and stowed.

I have rebuilt the simplified fender holddown torsion bar by integral molding. In the real tank, there is a case that the side end of the track is inserted into the bar as a weight to suppress the bar and the fender from jumping up.

I added a driver's hatch stopper. The handle of the filler cap is a simplified integral molding, so I cut it out and remade it with brass wire.

Many handles of the original model are integrally molded or simplified and have strange shape. The toolbox handles at the top and bottom of the turret are simplified as a one-piece rectangular projection. In particular, if the lid of the toolbox below the turret is a hinge type, the lid can not be opened depending on the position of the turret, so turning this handle will unlock the internal lock and the entire lid will come out. These handles are unique in shape, so I rebuilt them.

The number of handles in the Abrams tank is not more than that of the Type 10 tank, but since there are still many, I have no enthusiasm to remake everything, so I remake only the handrails that stand out to be molds.
Attachments
Tool box handle
Tool box handle
Tool box handle
Tool box handle
Drivers hatch stopper and cap handle
Drivers hatch stopper and cap handle
DSC_1641_01.JPG (91.82 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
Fender hold down torsion bar
Fender hold down torsion bar
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

It is a continuation of detailing up. I added bolts at the top of the side skirt. These bolts will not be visible if I attach the Explosive Reactive Armor to the side skirts, but now I have no perseverance to add up there.
DSC_1680_01.JPG
In this model, the triangle cable duct near the range finder is interrupted halfway. It is a unnatural and strange shape. In the old 1/35 Tamiya M1A2 model, there are some terminal boxes at the end of the cable duct. The cable duct disappears on the 1/16 model. This is an obvious omission. It has nothing to do with the strength of RC tanks.
After all, I scratched the cable duct with a plastic board.
DSC_1677_01.JPG
DSC_1707_01.JPG
DSC_1711_01.JPG
I added a tank infantry phone box and a slave cable terminal box.
I added a remote control terminal box and cable to the side of the CROWS machine gun. It looks like the feeling of detail has improved a little. The world of self-satisfaction!
DSC_1664_01.JPG
DSC_1714_01.JPG
I will install the anti-sniper gun barrel coaxial gun (3D printed product). This has not been fixed to the shield yet and has been temporarily placed, but if it is installed, it is also necessary to make a cable duct that leads to this.
However, this cable duct needs to be movable so as not to prevent the barrel from moving up and down.
DSC_1674_01.JPG
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

For the detail improvement of the Tamiya 1 / 16?M1A2 Abrams display model, I started to work around the Loaders hatch. There are many abbreviated and simplified parts here, but I need to decide how extent to remodel. I would like to remodel up to the extent at least the level expressed by M1A2 of MengModel. I referred to this real tank photo published by MengModel.

A shield that surrounds the Loader's M240 machine gun area. Because the protective shield in front of the machine gun has a fairly special shape, it took time to fully scratch. Thick bulletproof glass is in both the outside and the inside. The bulletproof glass is slid in from the top, and the top is held and bolted with the cover. I made this with plastic material. Since the boundary between the vertical and horizontal parts is an oblique cut shape, the plate material is bonded vertically, the triangular plastic bar is bonded to the corner, and the diagonal cut is made from the outside. I used a 1.7mm transparent plastic plate for the bulletproof glass part. There is also a protective shield on the side of the machine gun. Inside this shield, a diamond mesh is attached over the bulletproof glass. According to the commentary, this wire mesh protects the glass from errant feet stepping on it when this shield is folded down.
Since this machine gun is often attached with a sightscope, I also made from scratch it.
In addition, a protective plate is attached to the left and bottom of the gun seat. I have made from scratch these parts.
Attachments
real tank photo published by MengModel
real tank photo published by MengModel
DSC_shield8_548.JPG
DSC_shield1_549.JPG
DSC_1807_547.JPG
M240 Loader's shield
M240 Loader's shield
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Re: AMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

This is a coaxial machine gun that I got from Shapeways of 3D printer.

However, the size and shape of the ammunition box are strange. The width is narrow and the length is abnormally long to store 12.7 mm ammo. The upper part of the cartridge receiver is not open. I can not use it as it is, so I cut them and scratch it again with a plastic plate. ?I made amunition to cut a 1 mm brass rod and bite it into a mini router to form a tip. They were placed and glued on black 0.3 mm t plastic strips at equal intervals, and a strip of printing paper was applied on top of them.
If you need flexibility for ammo belt, make both sides of paper instead of plastic. This method is useful. (More sophisticated 1 / 16th scale ammunition is also available but expensive.)

Because the barrel moves up and down, this cable duct also needs a hinge in the middle. (Same for actual tanks)
In addition, this model has a structure that removes the upper part of the turret, so the junction box of this cable duct can be removed.

I thought that this machine gun would also be able to emit sound synchronously and that the light attached to the machine gun could also be turned on (USM-HL-2 would be easy to add these functions as long as wiring and LED could be installed), but as for now I will refrain from working so hard. I would like to conclude by making an additional bustle rack at the rear of the turret and modifying the useless part of this model.
Attachments
DSC_1841_562.JPG
This shows the state with the junction box removed. The junction box is fixed by inserting it into the hole on the turret from above.
This shows the state with the junction box removed. The junction box is fixed by inserting it into the hole on the turret from above.
Cable duct and junction box for coaxial machine guns
Cable duct and junction box for coaxial machine guns
Coaxial machine gun rebuilt ammo box
Coaxial machine gun rebuilt ammo box
coaxial machine gun( Shapeways of 3D printer)
coaxial machine gun( Shapeways of 3D printer)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sensational work mate. Sure is a lot of details on these modern things !
Thanks for sharing your pics,.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Coming along nicely sir. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Sensational work mate. Sure is a lot of details on these modern things !
Thanks for sharing your pics,.
Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Modern Tanks”