Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Phew..that wasn't quite as tricky as fitting the walls was. Chris' instructions are, well, on the minimalistic side. You really have to fill the gaps in yourself. Then again, that's what turns a kit builder into more of a scratch builder. Certainly, when you create parts out of anything you can find, to add to the kit; parts not included in the kit, then you're scratch building.
Time for the Commander's cupola.
These are the bits needed:
Extreme care is needed (don't do it with the jitters :haha: ). The bits are very delicate until fused together. Like this:
Later, I aim to paint the periscope apertures black, and then cover them with some reflective perspex (maybe some cut out from transparent plastic food containers..the sort you get your cream cakes in).
Meantime, the sides are looking OK with the temporarily mounted Mantlet in place:
Then with the top plates fitted. Note: only the front part of the roof has been bonded in place, partly to help with alignment, but also because I aim to have the rear section held in place by magnets, and three plastic lugs. This will allow me access to the gun assembly and wiring later on.
As the rear section of the roof is going to be detachable, the cupola is only bonded to it, and not to the front roof plate.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It always seems like a good idea to me reinforce the joints of styrene models. So, I added some strips to the joints inside the turret, at the flexible weak points.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now seems like the right time to assemble the Turret Storage Box. It gives the Comet a distinctive bustle, and it can also help offset the weight of the barrel. In the kit, the box is actually made out of fairly thin styrene (1.5mm?) Christian recommends stiffening it with spare bits and bobs. I would have done it anyway. :)
This is a timely reminder to keep all your spare styrene (unless it threatens to swamp the house...)., as it's often easy to find a job for it (and no...not floating in the Pacific >:< )
Here are the constituent parts:
The first step is to get add some bracing pieces to the base, and the sides. If done accurately (using a set square etc..), it's much easier to attach the basic parts.
I even cut another panel using the edge of the sprue, in order to double up on the base panel.
..and here it is being bonded to the turret:
The little angle fillets are what I'm going to be using to create the top edge of the box. The hinge will be represented by a length of tubular styrene (it adapted later to look more like a long, and regularly used hinge)
I have no plans to make the box openable, but I may make use of the space inside it to house an elevation unit. To facilitate that, I'll have to cut through from the Turret, much as engineers did to accommodate the radio in the Firefly turret.
'Lid' and 'hinge' in place:

Then, this is progress so far:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Forgot to mention that I made three locating lugs for the rear section (detachable section) of the turret roof. The lugs hook under the front (fixed section), then the back of this plate will be held in place with additional magnets...unless a better solution pops up soon. :think:
Incidentally, when ordering from Chris, don't be too surprised if that the design of the kit that grabbed your attention has changed in the meantime (for the better). The barrel I ordered doesn't have the alloy trunnion/gun sleeve I'd expected to get. Apparently, this is due to a design change.
Looks like I shall have to begin improvising soon...if other commitments allow it. :|
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Good progress.

They can be very frustrating kits when you consider the money you spend and parts are not 100% but stick with it.

I saw the comet run at tiger day last weekend, sounded awesome.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Roy, I bought his cupola from this kit for use on a Firefly, (I just always liked the look of it, with the British all-round-vision cupola). Watch out for the small braces for the hatches that act as hinges - they are very fragile. No matter how carefully I tried to assemble them, I still ended up with only a few times that I was able to open the doors before these parts started to split open at the hinge point. So I left them open for use with one of Frank's great TC figures, but am sad because I no longer get to "play with them" as SWIMBO calls it.

Great build, by the way. Thank you for sharing it. -Mike
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Great build, it's going very well. I am following with interest.

Louis
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

Looking good, I am also watching with great interest, as I intend getting the M7 Priest kit, so all your comments on the build
will be taken note of.
Chris
I never finish anyth
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

To Adam:
Many thanks, and yes the Comet is a real Beaut. I've seen the one at Bovington, but not yet heard it running (you lucky man! ;D ). Still, there's plenty of Meteor roaring action on Youtube! :thumbup:
My ex-wife used to get a really intense buzz ( 8O ) from the jet engines we heard at Farnborough, West Malling, and elsewhere- whilst I had to cover my delicate ears. :eh: But I heard the roar of the Meteor recently, and what an overwhelming wave of welcome noise that was (now I begin to understand :haha: ). The engine belongs to a guy who travels around with a group of WW2 re-enactors. I've always loved the thrum of the Spitfire Merlin as it passes overhead, though. Better than wine :thumbup:

Mike:
Good to hear from you, and Aloha! Yes, the cupola is pretty fragile, but looks great. Quite how I'll put hinges in the hatches remains to be thought through. It's very early days yet, and my time is not quite my own at present.
I think thin packaging perspex- with a blackened backplate- will work for the glass Cupola vision ports. Again, it's early days.. :D

Louis:
I'm awestruck by the projects you throw yourself into. They're never easy, but you always produce something of museum-quality in the end. :thumbup: if I can produce something half as good, it will take me twice as long :problem: :D

Square 4:
Thanks for the interest, and I like your Motto. Goo Morni!
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening, Roy,
Just read through this and now I want a cream cake *chuckles* I'll have to bake a cake tomorrow. ;o) It really is coming along. You guys who take flat stacks of styrene parts and make solid tanks out of them will always have my respect. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”