Initial Production Tiger Convoy Light?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Initial Production Tiger Convoy Light?

Post by Jimster »

That’s an incredibly cool build thread. I seriously wish I had read that before I started my humble attempt. Thanks for hooking me up with these links. My hats off to you.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Jimster wrote:That’s an incredibly cool build thread. I seriously wish I had read that before I started my humble attempt. Thanks for hooking me up with these links. My hats off to you.
You're welcome. Shame you didn't ask about the convoy light sooner ;) lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Funny how tank research can take many turns.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The exact early style (Panzer IV type) that was used on the very earliest Tigers is available at rctank.de under the Panzer IV accessories section. I know I posted this elsewhere but this puts a closure to this thread for anyone searching for this. Thanks for all the help and info!
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
Not really what i found ?? But there is already some clarification about my distance between tanks :|
http://byrden.com/panzers/lamps/NotekLights.html
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Those are some great links ad photos for tank modelers. Thanks for posting that.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

According to Alan Hamby, the very first production Tigers (manuf. Aug 1942-Oct '42) had no convoy light. The light was introduced in October '42.
http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml
Tiger 131 was manufactured early in 1943, and would almost certainly have had a convoy light at some stage... :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote:According to Alan Hamby, the very first production Tigers (manuf. Aug 1942-Oct '42) had no convoy light. The light was introduced in October '42.
http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.shtml
Tiger 131 was manufactured early in 1943, and would almost certainly have had a convoy light at some stage... :|
Funny you should say that, I've looked at tons of original pictures of tiger 131, and if it did have a convoy light, it doesn't look like it was on the tank when it was discovered/captured.

Alan also states the rear baggage bin wasn't added till the following year, so, doesn't that mean the production ones had the convoy light before the baggage bin? :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some of the very first tanks left the works with no track guards (fenders), no lights, and no storage bins. Hamby has a shot of an early Tiger with an improvised Pz III storage bin attached to it. Whenever detailed production changes were made, parts could be retrofitted, and often were. People have often speculated about 131's lack of lights at the front. Well, who knows where they went, if they were ever fitted?
The Haynes manual doesn't cover lighting.
I guess with experience, crews knew what their mounts needed, and maybe the feedback got the maintenance units doing the necessary mods. If convoy lights were needed; they could be retrofitted.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”