Initial Production Tiger Convoy Light?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimster
Lieutenant

Initial Production Tiger Convoy Light?

Post by Jimster »

I’m wondering if the initial production “Leningrad” Tiger had the blue cylindrical convoy light. I’ve also heard of them having a reflector instead of a light. Could someone shed some light on this for me and suggest a vendor for the part. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Initial Production Tiger Convoy Light?

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello, :D
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phare_Notek
There are several versions of the convoy fires,concerning the color they were generally located on left side,above the muguard génerally of three different colors,according to the position of the tank in the convoy,i have to search? Seen to have that in my archives there was also at the bottom of the chassis on the left a round ( red ) reflective, i search and send :thumbup:
PS : desoled,my inglihs no perfect :{
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks for the info. I’m still wondering what, if any, lights were on the rear of initial production Tigers. I’ve tried net searches but the closest I’ve found is references to reflectors and a grainy photo of a rectangular part located where the later convoy lights were located. I want my tank as accurate as possible.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Because we are presently on holiday in Mauritius and will be for another two weeks I do not have access to any of my sources of reference but from memory the circular rear reflector was first fitted to the initial production Tiger 1 and it was located at the base of the rear panel to the left of the " Left hand side Idler Tension cover".
The Cylindrical "Convoy" light which was within the left fender hinge cutout was first fitted in August 1942 the colour emitted by it has always been in dispute but it has become accepted to have been blue,
I would like to see "JOFAUR 86" source as he seems to have access to the holy grail.
Must go we have the dive boat booked for the whole afternoon.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tiger 131 then and now, followed by a 1943 picture of another Tiger. Hope they help.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190501-151416.jpg
F3K4C2.jpg
Tiger 131 Capture (12).jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Mick, I think the bottom picture is of "813" which has the early 3 section rectangular exhaust shrouds as fitted to the first 50 Tunisian Tiger 1s.
There is a photograph in "Tigers in Combat" which shows the complete rear panel in close up of a Tunisian Tiger 1 on a ferry from Italy to North Africa,
Anyone building an early Early Tiger 1 could do worse than use that picture as a source of reference.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:Hi Mick, I think the bottom picture is of "813" which has the early 3 section rectangular exhaust shrouds as fitted to the first 50 Tunisian Tiger 1s.
There is a photograph in "Tigers in Combat" which shows the complete rear panel in close up of a Tunisian Tiger 1 on a ferry from Italy to North Africa,
Anyone building an early Early Tiger 1 could do worse than use that picture as a source of reference.
If you look at the side of the turret, it has a 2 on the side, not a 3

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I took this picture from my Tiger 131 book, I know it's a recent picture, but shows the rear fender area more clearly, which can be seen that the museum hasn't altered that area since the tank was first discovered :thumbup:

Oops, forgot the picture :{ lol
Attachments
Screenshot_20190501-153240.jpg

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As I don't have my books with me I cannot give the exact details BUT 813 was a renumbered Tiger 1 as were many others in the Battalion.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:As I don't have my books with me I cannot give the exact details BUT 813 was a renumbered Tiger 1 as were many others in the Battalion.
Oh I don't know, swan off somewhere nice, and leave us in limbo, doesn't cost much more to take an extra case of books with you just in case they're needed. . . .

Return to “General Questions”