Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Post by lmcq11 »

I think that if you design 3D printed parts, then you are a designer of 3D parts. If you print them, then you are also a printer and the quality and prices are differentiators. If you use them as they are produced/received and just follow instructions, then you are a kit builder. If you use them as part of a broader build with components from many sources, then you are a builder or a scratch builder depending on whether the base of the model is industry, basic kit or out of nothing.

But i also find that bringing a 3D printed part up to a high standard of modelling usually requires scratch building level skills to make them look good, refined, smooth and polished. The material used is often difficult to work with. Not everything should be 3D printed. Scratch building is also about selecting the right material to produce a part.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, doesn’t bother me what anyone thinks, My modelling skills are somewhat retarded, but I can join the club with a printer & create wonderful things... Thanks to the designersImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by midlife306 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

As Wayne said, the original designer is technically the scratch builder, but it's not a case of one size fits all.
All the things we could copy and make ourselves for our tanks out of plasticard, metal etc, was already designed many years ago and manufactured full size.
We just alter its size before we make them.
I think producing something from just raw materials is scratch building/producing.
Although my feelings towards 3D scanning then printing isn't in the same category, there is no real skills needed.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Maybe we need more pigeon holes for our work? Or just enjoy the builds ;)Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

tomhugill wrote:Maybe we need more pigeon holes for our work? Or just enjoy the builds ;)Image
Basically, Tamiya scratch builds the parts, we just kit bash them.

Wayne, you can hold your head high, you are officially a scratch builder :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Wardog wrote:
midlife306 wrote:Hehe, doesn’t bother me what anyone thinks, My modelling skills are somewhat retarded, but I can join the club with a printer & create wonderful things... Thanks to the designersImageImageImage

It should matter,but OK .but think the truck is great (the end result is great)
There’s a difference between should matter & not bothered lol
Cheers
Wayne

lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Sorry guy's, I am good at lighting the touch paper and running away, and at present I am Meek Meek Road Runner. Keep up the good work Wayne, and other 3D ers.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

If you build it from nothing, and it doesn't come in a kit, then it's scratch-built. I don't care if you use a 3D printer or a CNC milling machine or any other tool to make the parts, if it didn't come in a kit you built it from scratch. Seems pretty simple to me.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Suppose Max is spot on. If YOU write a program for the machine and the machine makes part thats fine. Now who is going to be the first to scratch build a 1/16 hetzer. As for the stamped out parts from the man in germany , they can't be classed as scratch built. He has done all the hard work setting out the cuts.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Print thatImage

Return to “General Discussion”