Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Hi, Am I about to stir up a Hornets Nest, probably yes, healthy banter hurt's know one, are 3D Models in the strict sence of the word Scratch Built, I do like what has been done on 3D printers,some really fantastic models out there, and sometimes I wish I had one, it would make my life simpler, Emm I have my views, but what are yours. :S :wave: :thumbdown: :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Are 3D models really Scratch Built.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

If one does the design then prints that off, I'd say it very much is scratch built, especially as 3D Printing is still a form of manufacturing. But, that is if someone wrote their own files. Otherwise it's copying, a bit like making a mould of someone else's scratch built part and copying it in cast resin.

But that's just my opinion.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I think even using other people's designs, there's an art to 3d printing successfully which shouldn't be overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hmm, interesting...
I agree it’s somewhat of a new scenario.
The original designer is the scratch builder for sure, all the appreciation has to go to them
The odd bit is when the models become available, if you have a printer you can have a go yourself, but you may not like the orientation of the parts or you want to change the scale, or the parts don’t fit your printer etc etc. I got a 1/16 model of a T35-A from Thingiverse, I printed it & I was so impressed I decided to print one in 1/6 for a laugh.
The beauty is that the scratch build of the designer isn’t a one off like all other scratch builds, it’s just the beginning
Thanks to all the design hero’s out there xxx
Cheers
Wayne

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

tomhugill wrote:I think even using other people's designs, there's an art to 3d printing successfully which shouldn't be overlooked.
I guess you could say that it's like taking measurements with someone else's help.
And on that note, yes then, 3D Printing your own parts is like scratch building. Simply buying the parts already made is just like doing a kit.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Surely 3D printing is just another tool, another skill we can learn to use. It probably takes longer to master its use than a modelling knife - just wish l had one. Until then l rely on those who do have one and know how to use theirs to produce little marvels for me, and very thankful to them l am!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Wardog wrote:No,if you bought a model from a retailer in a box,or down load from a pc to your printer its the same.
If you down load certain parts for a build maybe.
From drawing to measure to card to plastic,metal to glue etc.thats scratch build the old way.
So is the person that uses a CNC miller to make parts isn't a scratch builder either? Are the tools we use relevant?

You're completely disregarding the manufacturing stage of the parts in saying a kit is the same as using a 3rd party design.

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Hehe, a printer is just a tool, dependant on your skill with that tool will greatly impact the finished product.
Anyone is welcome to come round to mine & have a go with no help from me, don’t expect to be going home with anything recognisable though lol
Cheers
Wayne

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Wardog wrote:No,if you bought a model from a retailer in a box,or down load from a pc to your printer its the same.
If you down load certain parts for a build maybe.
From drawing to measure to card to plastic,metal to glue etc.thats scratch build the old way.
I'm guessing your thinking is along the lines that having blue prints and a 35th scale model to help copy and make your own parts out of bits of material is scratch building, and it is. No matter what manufacturing machines you may have available to help make your life easier and produce the item.
But, when Wayne printed the bombs for me, he didn't just click print. He had to modify the files, re scale the item, change its printing process to cater for the bigger size, basically, re writing the program to suit the requirements. And used a machine he had available to produce the item.
That is something most people don't take into consideration with people printing parts, there is more involved than just pressing print.

lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Wayne and other 3D guys out there, I am in no way degradeing anyones knowledge or the tools they use, far from it, it was something that sprang to mind today, and as I said, it was a hornet's nest, and I gave it a kick, I am not clever enough to use a printer, so I stick to the lath and saw.

Return to “General Discussion”