TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by BarryC »

Hi guys,

Without starting a battle I would like to throw my "2 cents" into this discussion.

While researching my M1A1HA build I have acquired a dozen or so publications mostly geared to providing modelers with data and photos. So between them and a hundred or so photos from online sources mainly Prime Portal I have looked at nearly 400 photos. These include all versions on the A1 and A2 as well as all SEP versions. I have spent close to a hundred or more hours studying and think I can say conclusively that making hard statements about a specific version is like saying all leopards have the same spot pattern! I have been modeling one of two specific M1A1 HA with TUSK 1 protection package and I had to chose one or the other due to variations between the two. Both served together but have slightly different configurations.

I also have in my possession three different 1/35 kits of what is billed the same versions, but yet they are different. I have three different 1/16 kits, Heng Long M1A2, Tamiya M1A2 "static kit" and the Trumpeter M1A1. The level of detail and molding of the upper hull and turret are a lot a like. There are some odd differences in what is and is not included. IMO the level of detail for 1/16 scale is underwhelming on all.

The three are very different basically in how they are engineered because they are directed at a specific market.
Heng Long is targeted at the RTR market while the Tamiya is targeted at those wanting top shelf engineering and willing to build and the Trumpeter kit is a Static model pure and simple.

I can say that had the Tamiya kit been available when I started I would have chosen it for the engineering and the molding in styrene plastic. :clap: It would have still needed the detail work but I would have saved hours and hours making the chassis acceptable. I think when I tally up the dollars I've spent on structural rework, metal upgrades and electronics it will come close to the cost of the Tamiya FO kit.

I have learned to HATE the HL plastic, it is crap to work with but for its' targeted market it is solid. I have spent close to 100 hours bringing the HL chassis and drive train up to acceptable quality. The Tamiya starts out that way and I have considered using the Tamiya chassis under my HL hull and may do so at some point.

Just My Two Cents Worth,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Not talking about the mine plow mount that goes on the nose. I was talking about the mine plow electrical connection box by the driver's hatch, but that is neither here nor there. The tanks do get mods throughout their life cycle and through refits. I agree with that also. I have owned the HL for years before Tamiya even announced their version so I built what I had already bought. I was aware of what I was getting with the HL. I have built my own tanks from scratch so upgrading something is not out of my wheelhouse. The gearboxes have been upgraded, the control board has been replaced, and I don't find the plastic as bad as you are alluding to, but to each his own. I have used Tamiya Thin solvent for most of my build and superglue for any metal parts. Can't use solvent for the metal parts. The problem is that if you want it to "fuse" to the HL you need to sand the paint off first. The paint will cause the solvent problems with adhesion.

Not being argumentative, but Tamiya does get it wrong sometimes. Their first releases of the Abrams in 1/35th scale actually had issues with barrel scale (too short). The turret and front glacis plate where also at the wrong angle. There were other issues with it also, but this post isn't about the 1/35 Tamiya release. I have a Tamiya 1/16 KV-2 kit I'm building. It's a very nice kit, but the KV-2 is a pretty basic tank. It's not hard to get it pretty close. I have had to make additions to that tank to ensure I don't have issues running it. And you do need to use superglue on Tamiya tanks sometimes. The track fender supports on the Tamiya are ABS plastic being bonded to styrene. Tamiya solvent won't work for that. I tried using Plastruct to get them to "fuse" and they wouldn't. I have two different types of Plastruct and neither worked. I guess to me the Tamiya tanks are supposed to be made for enthusiasts and I expect enthusiast level of detail for that kind of money. HL are basically toys, but can be made up to an enthusiast level. You are right that none of them are perfect. I will have a lot of money invested in my HL Abrams, but I don't plan on selling my Abrams. I know the whole debate about resale also. Tom asked what I thought was wrong with the Tamiya so I posted what I think is wrong with it. You may or may not think those things are important, but to me I was unwilling to abandon the work I've done on my HL in favor of another Abrams with some of the same issues my HL already had. Call me a rivet counter if you like, but I just wanted an Abrams built to a high level of detail for my own enjoyment. If everyone else enjoys it than all the better.

I'm just exchanging thoughts and ideas so no offense intended or felt by me. Good luck in your builds!
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Hi everyone.
I have made many 1/35 and 1/16 scale tank models. I understand that there are many versions for most tanks. When making a tank model as a hobby, it is free for anyone to make a model with any preference, and I have no intention to deny it. As far as my preference is concerned, I do not want to make a tank model that corresponds to a version that has never existed before, unless I make a tank model of SF, fiction and animation. For example, there were early, middle, and late versions even in Tiger II, but I often saw the Tiger II model that did not exist in the past as a result of mixing these version parts incorrectly . Mania who do not want to make such a model needs to collect information and materials of a real tank. This is also a pleasure for him as a hobby. This preference is closely related to the details of the model, but it is different from how much detail is expressed in the model. As long as the modeler does not scratch the model completely, it has no choice but to consider the price and choose the model of the manufacturer that was the most suitable for his taste at that time.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

It is well known that we can not hear band marches, commander voices and discharge sound of gun cartridge when we are by the tank during the actual operation. However, some enthusiasts also install the function to reproduce these sounds in order to enjoy their atmosphere and scene. Some enthusiasts think that such a function is unnecessary for tank models.
After all, it is a natural story, but the model and the controller to choose differ depending on what function mania emphasizes. I think that the discussion of which is good or which is bad should be greatly argued on the premise of thinking that it is the person's preference or importance. For those who do not match his tastes or important points, the claim can not be agreed.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, I am one of those who love to play marches, tank commander voices, and all kind of sounds. In one of my tanks I play up to 220 sounds and I love all of them.

Unrealistic for some people? Yeah, maybe, but I absolutelly love it. People in meetings loves it too, and you can absolutelly see the public preffers those tanks able to make more things.

For example sometimes I do convoys, and the tank that is in front keeps shouting instructions to the rest like Turn right! turn left!, attack!, slowly, faster! enemy spotted! and things like that. (limit is your imagination) so it is pretty cool to have a platoon commander giving the instructions to the rest at my will. In real life you`d heard that too.

If that is not enough, horns, radio chatter, ambient sounds, artillery strikes... That is a BIG part of the fun for me. As I said, some people dont like it, but for me it is an absolute must. A need. In fact a tank without tons of functions is boring for me and stays in the shelf. (Sorry, I dont prettend to offend anybody, but is like that for me).

And a small correction, tamiya uses ABS in some parts too. For example the road wheels and return rollers of the Panzer IV.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hi, I am one of those who love to play marches, tank commander voices, and all kind of sounds. In one of my tanks I play up to 220 sounds and I love all of them.

Unrealistic for some people? Yeah, maybe, but I absolutelly love it. People in meetings loves it too, and you can absolutelly see the public preffers those tanks able to make more things.

For example sometimes I do convoys, and the tank that is in front keeps shouting instructions to the rest like Turn right! turn left!, attack!, slowly, faster! enemy spotted! and things like that. (limit is your imagination) so it is pretty cool to have a platoon commander giving the instructions to the rest at my will. In real life you`d heard that too.

If that is not enough, horns, radio chatter, ambient sounds, artillery strikes... That is a BIG part of the fun for me. As I said, some people dont like it, but for me it is an absolute must. A need. In fact a tank without tons of functions is boring for me and stays in the shelf. (Sorry, I dont prettend to offend anybody, but is like that for me).

And a small correction, tamiya uses ABS in some parts too. For example the road wheels and return rollers of the Panzer IV.
I also enjoy various sounds around the tank with the RC tank model. I think that it would be best in terms of performance to assemble the RC tank kit according to the manufacturer's instructions, but it is difficult for me to add more functions if I am not satisfied with the sound and other functions. In that case, I have no choice but to use a third party controller without using the manufacturer's default controller. I use the RC kit display model or the inexpensive HL model for tank hull to modify. Of course I also enjoy detailing up and painting at the same time.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

I made a 1/16 scale CROWS M1A2 mount base referring to 3D images and 1/35 scale photographs of DragonModel. The material is 2mm t and 1mm t plastic plate. As for the spring in the hinge, it would have been better if I had a spring of a beautiful shape that matched this size, but I did not have it, so I wound the brass wire around the rod to make the spring.
Attachments
DSC_1597_01.JPG
DSC_1598_01.JPG
DSC_1590_01.JPG
DSC_1574_01.JPG
yan33
Private

Post by yan33 »

excellent :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thank you.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Superb work. :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Modern Tanks”