1945 WWII Soviet IS-2 ( TAIGEN\TORRO )

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 1945 WWII Soviet IS-2 ( TAIGEN\TORRO )

Post by Max-U52 »

A couple years ago Squadron put that kit on sale for five bucks each. I bought four. One I assembled and sent as a gift to Erik, to go with his T-34.

I still have three left, still in the shrink wrap.

The plan is to flagrantly copy Mr. Wolf and use one for my JS-2. Probably a good idea to keep one as a spare. Sooo, I suppose some worthy JS-2 or T-34 owner might be able to talk me out of one. Maybe. @) @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Max!,
A Plethora of Riches! It is a good figure and poses well as either free standing or cupola mounted. The next piece of Soviet armor I have planned is an early KV-2, the 'Big Barn'. For that tank, there is a resin Kolobanov figure available that I plan to use. There are other Russian 'Tank Grrl' Loaders as well so one of those may show up. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tonight's work involved correcting the Commander's epaulets and that led to some paint touch up but he is finally done. After that bit of fun, I got to work on the tank...PICS ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
Purposeful barrel droop ready for paint
Purposeful barrel droop ready for paint
Success!
Success!
Test fit of the barrel
Test fit of the barrel
The bow fibre that simulates gunfire is thankfully intact.
The bow fibre that simulates gunfire is thankfully intact.
Removing the broken fibre piece involved careful hand drilling with a couple of different bit diameters
Removing the broken fibre piece involved careful hand drilling with a couple of different bit diameters
First work on the tank was to repair the broken fibre on the turret mg and install a brass BUG mg.
First work on the tank was to repair the broken fibre on the turret mg and install a brass BUG mg.
The swap called for paint touch up but he is finally done
The swap called for paint touch up but he is finally done
Realized the Commanders epaulets were on backwards and swapped them around...
Realized the Commanders epaulets were on backwards and swapped them around...
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Painless what a vast improvement :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Agreed. Much better. Did you buy that MG or scratch it? If bought, can I please get a link, and if scratch, a more detailed tutorial would be much appreciated.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning Gentlemen!
Apologies for the late reply. I slept in on Easter morning ( Happy Easter all, BTW ) and am now enjoying egg salad sammiches. Thank you, Carl! Gary, the complete MG is the one from RCTank.de and is originally a replacement for the KV tank bow MG. Drop the under barrel brace and it works perfectly for this tank. Here is the link:

https://www.rctank.de/KV-1-Bug-MG-with-accessories

regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Egg Sammie’s eh !! I made a load of them yesterday as well, they were deliciously simple but the inevitable side effect is quite evident :sick: :shifty: (I can blame the dog only so far)

Love the figures, what colour did you use for the uniform?
I need a commander for my bed spring T34 and if Mr 52 would consider letting one go, he would be just the hero I’ve been looking for !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Herman!
Commander uniform colors are Model Masters Sand and Dunkelgelb light coat flats from a rattlecan over a coat of Tamiya Fine Grey primer. Shadows are Tamiya pre mixed Brown Detailer. Happy Easter Egg Sammies!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Yesterday, the improved speaker for the tank showed up from Maxmekker in Norway. I installed it last night and the tank sounds can now be described as 'Amazing!' The slightly larger size of the speaker housing has shown the need for a smaller or flatter battery. People I speak to have convinced me that NiMh batteries are going the way of NiCad types when it comes to Hobby applications. I am planning a visit this evening to one of those retail battery Shops to see if I can get a Li-Ion type one made up ( still don't completely trust LiPo batteries ) Pics: (Click to enlarge)
Attachments
A better view of Max' handiwork.
A better view of Max' handiwork.
Housing is a pretty good fit with .25 inch leeway on either side.
Housing is a pretty good fit with .25 inch leeway on either side.
Speaker installed using the same mount screws as the stock TaiGen unit.  Embellishment colors added by me.
Speaker installed using the same mount screws as the stock TaiGen unit. Embellishment colors added by me.
Maxmekkers Finest Chocolate and Speaker
Maxmekkers Finest Chocolate and Speaker
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A little more detail work on the lower hull and deck. I still need to find or scratch some micro lenses for the marker lights but they are drilled out and painted inside for a start. Work is ongoing in drilling out the track pin runs for the spares up front. Pics: ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
Making progress
Making progress
The Loader approves...
The Loader approves...
Some of Taigens built in detail
Some of Taigens built in detail
Rear marker light
Rear marker light
Missing clamp added
Missing clamp added
Marker light closeup...drilled out and silver added