Ford 7 ton 3 MAN tank info wanted

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
Ford 3 ton <3'er
Recruit

Ford 7 ton 3 MAN tank info wanted

Post by Ford 3 ton <3'er »

Hi all! I guess I'll just cut to the chase here. As the tittle implies I'm looking for information about this rare tank. Ive only seen two photos of it and a very short description. Looking to build a model some day maybe but need more photos and info. Thanks all!
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Re: Ford 7 ton 3 MAN tank info wanted

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Google can be your friend. You’ll find plenty of info, drawings, photos & video online.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... tank_1918/
Manu-Military
Lance Corporal

Post by Manu-Military »

This link gives the 3 ton two man crew tank.
Never ever heard about a 7 ton 3 man crew Ford tank.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

My mistake, thought you were referring to the earlier 1918 3 ton tank.

Looks like quite the odd-ball design. I'd freelance it & use some artistic license but think you'll have your hands full just with that slack track.
7f316a5f5bd2eae9a85fc04a376b5988.jpg
7f316a5f5bd2eae9a85fc04a376b5988.jpg (41.2 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Manu-Military
Lance Corporal

Post by Manu-Military »

Either I don't remember having ever seen this or it is the first time I see it but it definitively look quite strange.
Ford 3 ton <3'er
Recruit

Sorry I couldnt get the photos to work :{ also sorry about the name its actual name as far as I know is the Ford mk1. So you can imagine trying to google that... anyway this is the only other photo I've seen if it worked if not I'll keep trying :{
01f6f40cc3c9d6743424aa064b6fd20d--military-vehicles-wwi.jpg
01f6f40cc3c9d6743424aa064b6fd20d--military-vehicles-wwi.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
Woohoo it worked :haha: !
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I normally use the book "US Military Tracked Vehicles" by Fred W. Crismon for finding obscure data. Although the only photo shown of this tank is the same one that was just posted above, I am hoping that the description will offer something you can perhaps use.
"The experiences of Pershing's forces in France indicated that while the Renault tank was good, a slightly larger model of simpler design would be most welcome. A pilot model was built by Ford, known both as the Ford 3-man tank and as the U.S. Mark I tank, with the goal being that the larger vehicle could mount both a 37mm main gun and the familiar caliber .30 machine gun. The same general layout was used as found in the Ford 3-ton tank, but the center of gravity was found to be too far to the rear, causing poor handling. A Hudson 60 horsepower six-cylinder engine was used. The gear train then passes to two modified Ford transmissions, and by gear to drive shafts and the drive sprockets. The transmissions were operated singly or together, and had high, low, and reverse ranges. The Ford 3-man tank weighed about 7.5 tons, was 16 feet long, including tailpiece, 6-1/2 feet wide. and 7 feet 9 inches high, and used armor plate which was 3/5 inch thick."
Ford 3 ton <3'er
Recruit

That dose help thanks much!! I knew some of that but not the dimensions! Is that all from the book about it? Also mostly looking for photos since this promising prototype didn't seem to have a very rich history unfortunately :| . If anyone can point me to any archival stuff even if it costs money that would be great! Thanks all! :thumbup:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Yes, that's all the book has about it; but I'm glad that it was of some help to you.
Ford 3 ton <3'er
Recruit

sassgrunt wrote:I normally use the book "US Military Tracked Vehicles" by Fred W. Crismon for finding obscure data. Although the only photo shown of this tank is the same one that was just posted above, I am hoping that the description will offer something you can perhaps use.
"The experiences of Pershing's forces in France indicated that while the Renault tank was good, a slightly larger model of simpler design would be most welcome. A pilot model was built by Ford, known both as the Ford 3-man tank and as the U.S. Mark I tank, with the goal being that the larger vehicle could mount both a 37mm main gun and the familiar caliber .30 machine gun. The same general layout was used as found in the Ford 3-ton tank, but the center of gravity was found to be too far to the rear, causing poor handling. A Hudson 60 horsepower six-cylinder engine was used. The gear train then passes to two modified Ford transmissions, and by gear to drive shafts and the drive sprockets. The transmissions were operated singly or together, and had high, low, and reverse ranges. The Ford 3-man tank weighed about 7.5 tons, was 16 feet long, including tailpiece, 6-1/2 feet wide. and 7 feet 9 inches high, and used armor plate which was 3/5 inch thick."
Do you happen to know the sources he uses by chance? Then I could cut out the middle man. o-

Return to “Tanks”