My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

Just a quick eBay search brings it right up. I’m not good at posting links. I think there is only one left now. Check it out. Merit 1/18 flak 36
Edit: I just found more on eBay. Some cheaper
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Back on topic, I received my Taigen metal tracks today. Huge thank you to Forgebear once again for super speedy delivery across the pond.
Let me say that the difference between Heng Long metal tracks and Taigen is like night and day. The Taigen metal tracks are heavier, wider and fewer, beefier links. 95 Taigen links equals 97 HL links in total length. The Taigen tracks are pre blackened and beautiful.
As far as performance I’m happy to say that I put my Tiger through it's paces in the backyard including super spins in rough grass and sharp turns at top speeds and never slipped a track. The HL tracks would’ve slipped off several times.
So the two brands are very different and I’ll use the HL tracks for my future Tiger recovery vehicle project.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Back off topic. I’ve attempted three different orders through eBay for the Merit Flak 36 model. Each time I get a confirmation email and then a follow-up email saying “Sorry. We have none. Out of stock.” That really sucks. Anyone have a lead on this model?
While I have your attention I must report that the Imex 5000 mAh battery lasts at least 3 times longer than my stock Heng Long 2000 mAh battery. Good investment.
I also busted off the bottom part of my styrene trailer hitch during maneuvers so I ordered a one piece metal hitch from RCTank.de as well as the Aber gun cleaning rods/brackets kit. I figured what the hell. At this point why not go all the way.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When you fit the Metal TOW HITCH be aware that it crosses the line of the bottom of the rear panel which is removable and the Tank Hull so you might want to think whether you want the mounting of the hitch to be on the Hull or the Rear Panel, I pin vised two holes in the hull and tapped threads into them and then bolted the bottom part of the hitch in place, That way I can remove the rear panel as well as the tow hitch.
I get all my Nuts, Washers and Bolts from------------
http://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/
A brilliant dealer very helpful and very speedy turnaround of orders. :thumbup:
If you do go that route I would recommend you buy a pair of "Nutspinners" they make fitting and removing small nuts and bolts much easier.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I installed muffler flappers from Shapeways. These are great parts and very clean and detailed. While I was at it tonight I realized I had the engine cover on backwards so I turned it around. I also filled in the holes where the jack block used to be and I filled the holes on the left side of the hull where the track cable clamps went. Looks much better now. Thanks for checking in.
Attachments
2677DCA5-2FA0-4EDF-9292-6D1516D48F98.jpeg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Perfect details to an already impressive Tiger Sir.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you, Herman Bix. You’re opinions mean a lot to me and your work has been inspiring.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Today I received the Mato metal pistol port and installed it on the right side of the turret. It’s another one of those details that really identifies this as a very early initial production Tiger. I also added the wiring conduit and brackets for the headlights and for the smoke launchers. I still need to add wires to the rear of the smoke launchers.
This is most fun I’ve had modeling in many years. Thanks for all the help along the way.
Attachments
5B078B11-B3DF-45DE-AF76-D6B946722A84.jpeg
5B078B11-B3DF-45DE-AF76-D6B946722A84.jpeg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
1E7887A5-E372-4BF3-A365-E63AFBC28768.jpeg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Update but no photos. I added the metal tow hitch and it looks way better than my flimsy styrene rendition. I also received my Aber cleaning rods and clamps kit and I’m about halfway through the construction on them. This kit requires woodwork as well as metal.
The best improvement tonight was the addition of Taigen 4:1 H/L gearboxes with steel gears and bearings on all shafts and bigger 390 motors. Now this Tiger moves just the way I want. The ability to creep at slow speeds is fantastic and I can feel the increase in torque. Spinning in tall grass is no problem. Like a Tasmanian Devil.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Jim can you post a video of it in completed state running about when you have time?
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”