TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

Hello everyone.
I tried assembling a lower hull (road wheel) at the beginning of remodeling the Tamiya M1A2 Abram display model to a radio control. First I sprayed a metal primer and a lacquer paint (Tamiya's light sand) to the metal lower hull. Tamiya has recently released lacquer paint, and its coating seems quite strong.

Because it is made by Tamiya, it was able to build a tightly combined structure with enough strength as RC tank without any stress. In the article of Armor modeling magazine, the black cap screw which fixes the suspension mount of the road wheel was reworked since its shape and position are completely different from the real tank, but I will not stick to that considering the strength. Although it is a part that can be seen from the outside, I will keep that part inconspicuous by painting. (It is true that I have no guts to remodel to that extent.)

In rebuilding to RC next time, I am thinking about whether to go Tamiya's full operation type or TORRO, HengLong type.

The characteristics of each will be summarized as follows.
? Tamiya full operation type
• It is possible to assemble the whole with certainty. Because it is the newest RC model, strength is sufficient.
• It has the latest gun barrel stabilizer function.
• Drive gear box is Tamiya's unique differential gear
• It is difficult to change or expand the function of my choice.
• Complete turret 360 ° turning function (slip ring), smoker function is not equipped.
• Because it is necessary to purchase Tamiya's after parts in order to make it full operation, it costs as much as it costs.

?TORRO, HengLong type
• If you are seeking reasonable sound, you need a third party sound board.
Especially since M1A2 is a turbine engine, TORRO, HengLong unit sound is completely different sound.
• Modification is necessary to fix the drive gear to the lower hull. It is necessary to prepare sprockets that match the gear box for TORRO, Heng Long, and it is necessary to check whether it matches Tamiya track.
• Easy to change, add and extend my own functions.
• It can be selected widely from the viewpoint of cost. (Commercially available general parts can be used.)

In the case of Tamiya full operation, the battery or turret control unit is designed in the turret, so it would have been impossible to use slip rings that can withstand the driving motor power.

I tried to see if the spare HengLong plastic gear fits into this lower hull.
This is a state in which the gearbox is raised with aluminum color and temporarily placed (unfixed). Centering of the drive shaft seems to be no problem. If 360 ° turret turning (slip ring) is adopted, batteries and controllers must be placed in the lower hull.

Somehow it is likely that all parts will fit within the lower hull. If you use the speaker box of the full operation kit, you only have to put the battery and the controller inside the turret.

I am worrying about which to proceed with Tamiya full operation type, TORRO, HengLong type.
Attachments
Temporary placement of speaker, battery, controller in lower hull
Temporary placement of speaker, battery, controller in lower hull
Drive shaft in lower hull
Drive shaft in lower hull
HengLong drive gearbox temporarily placed in TAMIYA lower metal hull
Painted lower hull and road wheel
Painted lower hull and road wheel
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Re: TAMIYA M1A2 Displaymodel

Post by kintaroukinji »

Thanks for your comment. As you say, I think that it is better to use TMAMIYA 's differential gear better quality. However, in that case, TAMIYA full operation will eventually be assembled, so it seems to be difficult to add my favorite functions. Although it is possible to introduce TAMIYA gear and a third party sound controller, it may cost very expensive. I'm very annoyed as to which way to go.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Tamiya M1A2 Abrams display model makes radio control possible.
For the time being, I confirmed by temporary wiring to see how far it works with TORRO's RX18 controller. Turret turning is OK. I removed the motor from the unnecessary HengLong turret turning unit and incorporated it as Tamiya's original recoil system as a barrel recoil motor, but since it has no stopper it can not be used as it is. Anyway, I plan to operate the gun barrel lifting and recoil with the servo using the sound board. Since the sound is also from RX 18, it is not a turbine engine sound, and the sound quality is not so good either. The speaker will eventually be installed in the lower hull.
Attachments
DSC_1316_01.JPG
DSC_1316_01.JPG (83.23 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
DSC_1315 _544.JPG
DSC_1315 _544.JPG (82.08 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

I got a sprocket wheel from "MatoToys" to match the axle of HengLong? drive gear. The painted one on the left is of Tamiya, but the hole in the wheel has not penetrated. The right one has a hole exactly like a real tank. As this part is visible from the outside, I think whether it is important about the details whether this hole penetrates or not.
What I was most interested in was whether this Sprocket fit Tamiya's genuine track, but it matched without problems. I can not judge whether it will match if I do not finally check the driving performance, but for the time being, I feel relieved.

I installed the USM-HL-2 sound board and the TORRO RX18, but as a basic concept, remodeling is limited within the range where it is easy to remodel Tamiya genuine full operation.
Wiring was done as follows.

In Tamiya full operation, tail lights and headlights can be switched to blackout (BO) headlights, BO brake lights, BO taillights, etc. in various ways so-called camouflage mode, but this USM-HL-2 is also possible with the "light switching function". Lifting of the main gun was also possible with servo control by this boad.

Temporarily, I installed these for operation function check. The servo for main gun lifting is a old servo that was used in RC helicopter. It is about 30 years old, but works well.
All except the battery are in the lower hull.? The main switch has not been fixed yet and is left floating.

In addition to the coaxial machine gun, I am planning to make the CROWS on the turret also able to emit light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokERzMBFZg&t=1s

It would be fine if TAMIYA full operation unit could be added to the machine gun light emission function, but I think it is impossible for me.
Attachments
Gun lifting unit, barrel recoil unit, turret rotating unit, and main switch
Gun lifting unit, barrel recoil unit, turret rotating unit, and main switch
DSC_1332_01.JPG (74.45 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
TORRO RX18, USM-HL-2, speaker, and output terminal in Lowe hull
TORRO RX18, USM-HL-2, speaker, and output terminal in Lowe hull
DSC_1327_01.JPG (87.67 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
Wiring diagam
Wiring diagam
DSC_??1330_01.JPG (86.22 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
DSC_1329_01.JPG
DSC_1329_01.JPG (87.1 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
Sprocket wheel TAMIYA(left) and MATO(right)
Sprocket wheel TAMIYA(left) and MATO(right)
DSC_1324_01.JPG (66.03 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

You are making great progress. Following along :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

Tank you very much.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Certainly making all the dots join together Sir. :thumbup:
Over all, would you say that converting a static to an RC model is the best option ?
Or would you go with getting an RC version (of any brand) and detailing it to suit if you had your time again ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

I do not always think that converting a static model is the best option. Each person has different ways of enjoying model assembly. As for me, I think that simply assembling the RC assembly kit according to the manufacturer's instructions is not very interesting. With regard to this TAMIYA 1/16 ABRAMS kit, of course, simply assembling the genuine full operation as directed by the manufacturer will be the most reliable as the final RC finished product. That's because the manufacturer designed this kit for the most reliable finish.
Currently I will convert this display model to radio control with BEIER-Electronic's soundmodule (using TORRO's RX18). Of course TAMIYA's genuine full operation system is also very attractive, but it is easier and cheaper to use a third party soundboard while taking advantage of the quality of this model to add my favorite function . For example, it is easier to add CROWS to flash the MG, or to enable 360 ??degree turret rotation with a slip ring. It seems more fun to modificate this kit as I like, than just assembling the default spec RC model. However, after I enjoyed this modification enough, I may purchase the necessary TAMIYA parts in the future, and make this a genuine full operation.
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

I fixed the HengLong default gearbox (plastic) to the lower hull and installed headlights, blackout (BO) headlights, brake lights, BO brake lights, and taillights. Although the main gun coaxial machine gun and BO headlights are designed to use an optical fiber by TAMIYA original in the assembly manual of TAMIYA, I used the LED chip in consideration of brightness. The main switch is fixed in a self-made switch box and installed in the turret. This is the place where the TAMIYA turret control unit (with main switch) is attached.

As for the wiring on the car body side, there are many output wiring from the sound board, so I use a 16-pin socket for the output terminal made by myself, but as usual, I can not feel a sense of stiffness. I really feel that I am not good at handling the wiring in a smart way. In particular, wiring from the turret to the lower hull may cause troubles in the turret's turning unless it has a certain degree of slack. On the other hand, if there is too much slack, the wiring may become embroiled. This is the point I always worry about. The wiring process is very smart if the turret control unit, the body control unit and the speaker of Tamiya genuine full operation system are used.

Watch the video for the sound and behavior of the tank. The tank kit is unpainted and the guns on the turret are also unequipped.
phpBB [video]
[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVSHmOD_qX8

I picked up the real machine sound from YouTube and edited the idling sound, the running sound, the main gun and the MG firing sound. The battery is a Nicd battery attached to the HengLong tank, so it is a bit short of power, but on the floor the speed control is good.

Well, this time I assembled the kit as it is, but despite the fact that this is the latest 1/16 scale Tamiya tank, I am completely dissatisfied with the details. This is not completely out of the so-called TOY zone.
First of all, the external handrails and handles are molded, and the shape is quite rough. I think that it is unavoidable if it is a complex shape, but even handrails and hooks of simple shape are expressed by molded strange shape. I feel that the strength is considered too much in the radio control.
I was forced to remodel this handrail immediately.

There are many other places where remodeling and detailing should be done. It is not easy to go to the painting process. Then I got the 3D print kit of M153 CROWS from Shape ways. Though I thought of my own work, I do not have the skills and patience to create everything from the beginning. The surface of the 3D print kit is rough, but the main shape is kept. I will build on this base and improve the detail and make it possible to fire the machine gun.

Headlights, BO headlights, brake lights, BO brake lights, and tail lights can be combined and switched on.
Attachments
3D print kit CROWS
3D print kit CROWS
Replaced molded handrail with brass wire
Replaced molded handrail with brass wire
molded  handrail
molded handrail
DSC_1339_01.JPG
main switch
main switch
DSC_1338_01.JPG
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Since I already owned the HL Abrams from years ago and seeing the soft or wrong Tamiya details I decided to detail the HL out and not buy the Tamiya version. For what it costs you would think that they would've done better with the details.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Modern Tanks”