Total newbie, advice please

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Re: Total newbie, advice please

Post by Lo_Thar »

Dont buy panzer 4 - this model dont have torsion bares (like oryginal) - all german torro model tanks exept pz4 have torsion bares
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

Lo_Thar wrote:Dont buy panzer 4 - this model dont have torsion bares (like oryginal) - all german torro model tanks exept pz4 have torsion bares
Interesting, thank you

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Dusty Steppes
Private

Post by Dusty Steppes »

Lo_Thar wrote:Dont buy panzer 4 - this model dont have torsion bares (like oryginal) - all german torro model tanks exept pz4 have torsion bares
Panzer IVs did not have torsion bars. They used leaf springs on the bogie system.
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

Dusty Steppes wrote:
Panzer IVs did not have torsion bars. They used leaf springs on the bogie system.
Again, interesting, thank you

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Dusty Steppes wrote:
Yes, leaf springs, not torsion bars on panzer 4.
I found the metal leaf springs on my Taigen to be a bit on the stiff side.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The biggest source of complaint with the Taigen/Heng Long/Asiatam Panzer 4 is the profoundly awful mess they have made emulating the Semi-Elliptic leaf spring suspension that the original PZ4 had,
Tamiya as usual have done a first rate job of the fit as well as the accuracy of the layout of the suspension,
Some of us have managed to discard the Taigen/Heng Long/Asiatam botch and converted to the Tamiya system,
The only problem apart from needing a metal hull is identifying the parts needed and then finding a dealer selling the OVERPRICED parts. :thumbdown:
BUT I do give a long overdue Hoorah to the newly redesigned Taigen Panzer 4 Turret, :thumbup:
It really is a nice piece of work with it metal moulded on hooks (Proper way down) which unlike the previous efforts are real hooks and not plastic blobs,
Also the bore sight that I have been going on about and had the embarrassment of discovering that the bore sight I had fitted was in fact a turret door handle,(Thanks ROY) :{ This is now a proper fit in front of the Cupola,
This brings my only complaint of the new turret,
If you want to build an "H" or "J" The cupola used to be a simple screw fit so that converting a late model PZ4 single piece hatch version was dead easy now the cupola is a part of the turret albeit having a quality faux weld joining it to the turret and while I welcome the accuracy of the aerial deflector (At Last) it has to be cut off for the later variant PZ4s as the aerial on them is not on the side of the body but on the left rear flank but overall a welcome addition to those who like accuracy in their tanks.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Funny, the reason I bought a taigen metal addition panzer 4 was because I read on one of the forums (before I joined this one), that the addition of the metal suspension made the panzer 4 run better than a plastic Heng Long. Sadly I find my suspension overly stiff which is more likely to rock than compress over bumps.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have been waiting for someone to point out my (deliberate) mistake :lolno:
The suspension on the Panzer 4 is of course not Semi-Elliptic but Quarter Elliptic,
Semi elliptic would have been more compliant but there was not enough room along the side of the hull and it would have added literally tonnes more weight to the tank.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

Much food for thought here,as I'd hoped.

Sounds to me,as a noob, the panzer 4 is perhaps not the best choice for a beginner.

Which brings me back to the panther I think.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:I have been waiting for someone to point out my (deliberate) mistake :lolno:
The suspension on the Panzer 4 is of course not Semi-Elliptic but Quarter Elliptic,
Semi elliptic would have been more compliant but there was not enough room along the side of the hull and it would have added literally tonnes more weight to the tank.
That's why my suspension rocks man :D

Return to “General Questions”