LED instalation

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

LED instalation

Post by Black Knight »

Hi all.

I want to put the headlamps, tail lights and orange beacon (from Pistenking) all onto one channel (FS-i6 10ch receiver) so I can switch them all on/off as and when needed. I am guessing it's not going to be as simple aas just splicing the three sets of wires together into one receiver plug? Any help/advice much appreciated 8)
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: LED instalation

Post by Tiger6 »

Those lights likely run on differernt voltages so the short answer is no.

I would recommend the Turnigy light control unit from Hobbyking as a switch, but you might need more than one (or at least some carefull balancing of resistors in the circuit) to get everything to light up how you want it?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Cheers. I may have to down, test and adjust then. I may well stick with the standard wiring for the head/tail lights and use a separate channel for the beacon!
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

As a rule red and white LED's have different forward voltages and don't play nice on the same power supply.
Good luck with it all
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I've successfully done this on a large range of WPL etc 1/16 trucks. I have front and rear lights plus yellow flashers and internal lights, all on one channel on the same trannie as you.

Buy the appropriate colour/functioning LEDs, all 6v, then buy a single multi-switch off eBay. This plugs into your chosen receiver channel socket, has a short cable to a very mall circuit board which has 2 or 3 two pin male pin sets, each of the pair's supplying switched 6v for your LED sets. You can add resisters to reduce brightness but because the supply is from your receiver its all 5-6v bec.

Use switch A to control the channel and you can then cycle through light sets, both single and pairs etc. The switches vary in the number of light sets supported, the combinations and price but few are more than a fiver so cheap, easy to install and use work a treat. The hardest bit is using the right words to search on ebay!ImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I've successfully done this on a large range of WPL etc 1/16 trucks. I have front and rear lights plus yellow flashers and internal lights, all on one channel on the same trannie as you.

Buy the appropriate colour/functioning LEDs, all 6v, then buy a single multi-switch off eBay. This plugs into your chosen receiver channel socket, has a short cable to a very mall circuit board which has 2 or 3 two pin male pin sets, each of the pair's supplying switched 6v for your LED sets. You can add resisters to reduce brightness but because the supply is from your receiver its all 5-6v bec.

Use switch A to control the channel and you can then cycle through light sets, both single and pairs etc. The switches vary in the number of light sets supported, the combinations and price but few are more than a fiver so cheap, easy to install and use work a treat. The hardest bit is using the right words to search on ebay!ImageImage

Excellent - cheers. I am visiting my local RC shop tomorrow so I'll see what they can do for me :P
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

These are mostly unbranded so your RC shop may not have them but here's a simple 1 channel / 2 switch example. This one gives two switches that gives you one set on, other set on, both sets on, one set cycling through effects for example. There are a couple of branded ones but they cost a lot more!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light-Co ... SwCAlbiPJ9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Channel- ... SwdeFcinKg

Ignore the reference to '2 channel's - they only use one!

Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

General Jumbo01 wrote:These are mostly unbranded so your RC shop may not have them but here's a simple 1 channel / 2 switch example. This one gives two switches that gives you one set on, other set on, both sets on, one set cycling through effects for example. There are a couple of branded ones but they cost a lot more!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light-Co ... SwCAlbiPJ9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Channel- ... SwdeFcinKg

Ignore the reference to '2 channel's - they only use one!

Found a Turnigy one on fleabay - more expensive but has a higher amp/volt handling capacity :clap: :thumbup:
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi guy's, I to am interested in this option for the lights, ' General' would you still need to add resistors on the positive wire on the led cable or would the switch take care of this ? If resistors are still needed to be used what are suitable one's for the job, I'm looking to run a single led to the search light on my M51 using this method :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “Other electronics”