Silicon Straws.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Silicon Straws.

Post by jarndice »

When an unarticulated Plastic or Paper drinking straw is bent it collapses at the point of the bend.
What I would like to know is does that happen when you bend a Silicone drinking straw or does it retain a clear inside diameter throughout the bend just as an Articulated straw does?
I ask because I use Articulated Plastic straws instead of the plastic pipes supplied with both the Heng Long/Taigen and Tarr Smokers,
Being articulated and much longer than the pre-supplied pipes I am able to route the pipe pretty much from and too wherever I want and I can place the Smoker wherever I want but being mindful of the plastic backlash against plastic straws I thought it might be wise to find an alternative.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Silicon Straws.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

They sell silicon tube for car window washers that can bend and retain its shape, but like any tube, you bend it too sharply it will kink. As the softest type of tubing silicon still can't stretch enough on the outside of the bend and compress on the inside to stop kinking or flattening.
The only way to possibly do it would be to fit the tube within a spring that tightly fits the outside of the tube.
Which would be easier than fitting a spring that tightly fits inside the tube.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You can purchase small reinforced medical grade tubing, I thought I had a link for some, I'll keep looking.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190310-123148.jpg
Screenshot_20190310-123148.jpg (81.24 KiB) Viewed 991 times

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I found my link, but it wasn't for the medical grade tube.

The smallest id this place does is 5mm.

Clear Reinforced PVC Hose – Per Metre – Direct Hoses
https://www.directhoses.co.uk/product/c ... nvEALw_wcB

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Mick thanks for your help,
I need an inside diameter of 5mm and there is a company I found on line that sells Silicon Pipe for Gaggia Coffee Machines with Pipe at 5mm inside an 9mm outside diameter a metre of it is going for £19 which seems a bit steep so if there's one there should be more and perhaps cheaper.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Could always get the washer tube and put it in a spring where it needs the tightest bend.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

What about using this type of thing where you want a tight bend.

10Pcs 2 Way Clear Aquarium Connector Tube Elbow Air Valves Fitting Fish Tank CN | eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-2-Way- ... .l4275.c10

General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

One very simple way is to go to a model shop that does l/C powered RC race cars as they use a very soft clear silicon fuel tube that doesn't collapse, comes on a reel so is sold in any length, is cheap and is a perfect fit for the smokers.

Like you, l like to fit my smokers so that they can be easily topped up via a second filler tube and have modified all my tanks using this tubing. Works a treat.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Screen wash tube is probably about the right size: check the local motor factors or Halfwits.

Return to “General Questions”