1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal Carrier suspension and road wheels

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks, I suddenly remembered I've got some aluminium offcuts in a box in my shed, so hopefully I have some 50x50mm angle which would be perfect. Tomorrow I must have an expedition into the murky depths of the shed and hope the offcuts are still there.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Markylee
Recruit

Post by Markylee »

Hi Alwyn, that under carriage looks amazing! Didn't realise you were going to start your build so quickly!
Found this photo of the track tensioning front spindle, hope it helps:
[img]
UC track tensioner
UC track tensioner
[/img]
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thamks for the photo. At this stage I won't be doing a track adjuster as the links are so small proportionally that adding or removing links is going to be the short term solution. Making a track adjuster at this stage is a step too far and I don't think I could build it strong enough, so there will just be a 5mm threaded rod through the front of the chassis for the idler wheel.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Finished the bearing holders, just have to fit it all to the chassis.

I'm printing the second sprocket so that's today gone on the printer! Still plenty to do on the suspension springs.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I needed a spacer for the idler so I designed it as a track tensioner - it could be functional but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to take the impact/stress.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Today I made two discoveries in my shed

The first is that the shed roof is leaking and water is pouring in. This is a disaster as we are currently experiencing a monsoon. 8O :/ :crazy:

The second (and much more pleasurable) discovery was that I did indeed have some aluminium offcuts and that there was some 50x50mm angle :D :D :thumbup:

So as it was impossible to fix the roof while it was peeing it down, I proceeded to make some transmission parts and fit them. I strongly suspect though that if the weather clears tomorrow, the managing director (aka the wife) will demand that all modelling cease until said roof is fixed. :'( :/

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Every cloud has a silver lining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I don't know about that Wayne, at the moment most of the clouds here are full of that cold wet stuff that's soaking my shed! 8O :'(

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

What you need Alwyn is a holiday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Wayne you are so right! :D :D :crazy:

Chassis finished

A little bit of fine tuning to do but basically the chassis is level, the wheels are lined up, I'm just waiting for the tracks to finish.
The motors and electronics will go in when I'm back from holiday in July, then the upper hull build can begin when the chassis is running.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”