1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal Carrier suspension and road wheels

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks for the pointer to the build. The builder did a fairly creditable job using styrene and it's ok....... I hope mine is better as would be expected with the advantage of 3d printing.

Here's the start

These are just the prototype prints, the real wheels will have 5x14x5 bearings front and back. They are ordered and will arrive next week. I'm probably over-engineering this but I don't know what the finished weight will be and I definitely don't want suspension issues when driving. The real thing could do 40mph over rough ground and there are lots of pictures of them leaving the ground :crazy:

Anyway onwards and upwards
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I’m well excited about this build Alwyn
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress on the suspension
here's the real thing

Just the rear suspension mounting to do

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's the rear suspension finished

Working in 1/6 scale really feels like heavy engineering 8O :crazy: :haha:

Everything has to be super strong, working with M5 nuts and bolts, it's really weird but kind of satisfying to create these huge chunky pieces. I am busy cutting the plywood for the chassis and I still can't get it into my head I'm building a tank - with Carpentry already. 8O

Anyway I can't go much further until I get the tracks and sprocket as the sprocket design is going to be a lulu!

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Alwyn, if you post the STL files or offer them for sale I will definitely build one of these. In fact, I'm searching eBay right now for suitable 12 inch British figures to man it for me. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I will get them away ASAP mate. I don’t want to hold up production!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

And, now that you have Herman salivating over the project; maybe you should point out to him that your suspension units would be a huge step forward in building a Maultier in 1/6 scale too!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have been saving up some praise & thanks for you too Mr Sass!!
For the right time !!

A maultier that size !!!!???
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well, I'm bemused, amazed, and a little awed.

Anyone giving this a casual glance could be forgiven for thinking I had given up on rc tanks and vehicles and decided to build boats instead 8O :crazy: :haha:

It isn't a model aircraft carrier or landing craft, it is in fact the lower hull of the 1/6 scale Universal or Bren Carrier. IT'S HUGE!

Anyway it's the prototype for one. I'm not 100% sold on using ply and may revert to styrene. This is 3mm ply, and I think 4mm of good old styrene sheet would probably provide a stiffer and stronger solution but this works as a prototype.

Now I'm glad I over-engineered that suspension.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow Alwyn, that does look huge, you sure it's only 6th scale lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Larger Scale Military”