1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

I decided to make a start on the 1/6 scale Universal Carrier before I went on my hols and here's the wheel design
and a very worn real wheel

I'll hopefully get a bit of work done before I go away

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal Carrier suspension and road wheels

Post by Max-U52 »

Very good start, Alwyn. I've been waiting for someone to design one of these in 1/6 scale. Will you print your own tracks, and if not what tracks do you have in mind?

I know it's just a tiny little monkey but the Bren carrier has always been one of my favorite tracked vehicles. I'll be watching closely with great interest. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, the wheels and suspension are being designed to use 1/16 scale Jagdpanther tracks which have a profile which is roughly correct. I will need to design a sprocket to suit which won't be exactly to the correct scale - the holes for the sprocket lie outside the track spurs, but that's a compromise that has to be made in order to use stock tracks.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And I just happen to have a spare set of tracks for that. Isn't that convenient? @) 8) :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hmmmm... I think you'll need a second set at least because each track will be approx 1200mm long

It's a big beast......
and the problem I have is the guy who did the blueprint I'm working from was an idiot who managed to get spindles going through tyres! Some redesign has been necessary...... :crazy: 8O :haha:

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have two sets of plastic tracks!
I will have a look later and we can work out how many runs you will need to get your 1200mm per side
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That would be great Herman, thanks. :clap: :thumbup:

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Turns out I have 4 sets (8 runs)of tracks. Each run is 830mm when laid out flat.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Fantastic Herman, many thanks. That tells me I need 2 sets for the U C. :clap: :thumbup:

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Just found this site featuring a scratch built 6th Australian Bren Carrier. Although the site contradicts itself mentioning 16th, it is 6th.

AMI Gallery 1/6 scale Bren Gun Carrier by John Loughman
http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/ ... engun.html
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Larger Scale Military”