1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Tech-Com
Recruit

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by Tech-Com »

I took lots of measurements from real photographs and designed them as full scale tracks.I then reduced the scale. I had to guess on the text I could only make out a few digits from the photograhes and most of the photos I saw had the forging text rusted away.

I may see if I can cnc a mold, curious how detailed I can machine the forging codes.

Here is my design based on real photos compared to Popzoltan's thingiverse design.
my_pad_01.jpg
my_pad_01.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Last edited by Tech-Com on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

PainlessWolf you asked if Popzoltan's tracks from thingiverse would fit? The designer (Popzoltan) made them specifically for the 1/6th stuart. I'm not going to print his out since I wanted to make my own, but I did load them in 3D to see if they fit, and they appear to be a very nice fit.
thingiverse_tracks.jpg
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

Unfortunately I discovered a problem with the RC version of the stuart that makes installing popzoltan's tracks impossible without additional modification. PainlessWolf has made modifications to his return rollers, but I'd have to know the exact dimensions to know if they can work with Popzoltan's version.

It would clearly collide with how the stock RC version is designed unless these rollers are modified.

Notice the bottom purple shoe is inside the shaft of the return roller, this area of the shaft would have to be modified to clear it.
track_problem_00.jpg
track_problem_00.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
You have to reduce those roller mounts to be sure. The tracks I am currently using are the one piece nylon\metal reinforced one piece tracks from the static 1/6 Stuart. The horns on the end track connectors now clear my return roller shafts nicely so any cast or printed accurate track will do so as well. In the Steinbrunn book, he recreated the actual mount type with the indent in brass. Lacking a machine shop, I went my way and it works
regards,
Painless
Attachments
This shows the spacer and stabilizer mount I came up with.  Everything is curing overnight having used LocTite 24hr epoxy..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Aljones34
Private

Post by Aljones34 »

As always great information to look over.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Aljones, Thanks! I'm hoping that between these two 3d Printer fellows, that an affordable set of Link Tracks will be in the offing.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm still trying to figure out how I can get enough range on my hetzer to drive it out there to Colorado and pepper that puppy with paintballs. @)

And there's an interesting expression, pepper that puppy with paintballs. Seems to just roll right off the tongue. @) :haha: :haha: 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Enjoy that Hetzer, sir. It does roll right off the tongue! Sort of like "Pour Powder, Place Wad, Place Ball, Ram, Cap, Fire!"
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

Painlesswolf, would you be able to provide measurements off your corrected barrel so I can turn a new one for mine?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
Here you go in Standard Measurements:

Complete Length: 8" (Barrel and Sleeve assembled)

Barrel Sleeve Length: 2.25"
Outer Diameter: .63"
Inner Diameter: .50"

Barrel Length (including inner brass for servo attachment: 8.63") ( Exterior Length from Sleeve Insert: 5.75" )
Outer Diameter from Sleeve insert: .44" Tapers to .38" at the muzzle which has a slight flare to it
Bore Diameter: .25"

regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”