What would YOU choose?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: What would YOU choose?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks as well to Michael, and Jimbo, for the input! :thumbup: There's nothing quite like collective fantasy. It's like the characters in the Flight of the Phoenix, I think, discussing cordon bleu, or favourite meals, when they're almost out of rations. :)
So...the Comet comes clanking through strongly!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Putting myself in your location, and knowing you like British armour.
1. Dave doesn't like to ship them, therefore not easy to acquire. Not a great deal to do to them, limited detail parts.
2. When they finally pack up, not cheap to repair and lose value. Plus, don't you need to buy games? 300 quid on games later. . . .
3. Enjoyment from building, Can now afford those tracks as you're not buying games.

If you edit your first post, you can create a poll :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

MichaelC wrote:Try looking at some game play videos on youtube for Battlefield 5.

Here is one with the StrumTiger:

phpBB [video]
Hi, Michael
I've just read a few (mixed) reviews of Battlefield 5, to try to resolve this shopping spree issue. The WW2 action sequences look fantastic...and I do have a 4k TV; so the images should look equally amazing.
That said, some reviewers were disappointed with the game, and thought that Battlefield one was less glitchy, and perhaps more true to life.
Personally, I loved the WW1 features in Battlefield 1 (especially the Mk IV tanks). BUT, I would have to pay a visit to Specsavers first, with that option, for some nicely tuned gaming glasses. :/ :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

I would say the Comet

The IS-2 looks very nice however

Battlefield 5 outright ignores history and even alters real more interesting events in favour of political correctness so much so that they attempt to pass this off as what really happened in those events
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Comet was the first British Tank that finally got the three basics of Tank design right (Sorry General Jumbo The Comet was the incentive for the Centurion),
It combined good armour, a good Gun and a decent engine, combined with its Christie suspension it was as good as a cruiser/medium tank could get.
It revolutionised British Tank design. :thumbup:
While the Centurion shared very little of the Comet it was the Comet that inspired the design of not just the Cent but every British Tank that followed and it came into being by accident.
The engineers at Vickers had been trying to up gun the Cromwell and finally had to admit it just could not be done so reluctantly and belatedly the Comet was designed.
As already mentioned its only failing was that it came too late to have the impact that it would have done if the faffing around with the Cromwell had been recognised earlier as a waste of time.
My view on games consoles is that they are on a par with sex dolls, a third rate substitute for real life :{ Allegedly.
The Soviet Tank industry after the T34 having found the secret to defeating German Armour built bigger jelly moulds of the original with little in the way of originality, Just my point of view. :P .
Last edited by jarndice on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Roy,
I went with the Taigen\Torro IS-2. It is an amazingly fun tank. There are a couple of _tiny_ quibbles ( bouncy barrel and stone magnet road wheels ) but if there were nothing to do with the tanks we buy, we wouldn't all be modelers on this forum.
I'm a PC gamer so that takes me out of the running for the rest. The Comet is an amazing tank as built. You know I am saving dimes for a metal lower Churchill or Matilda. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Comet is the way to go :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Right now my vote is Taigen JS/2. But ask me again tomorrow and I might vote differently.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Come on, Roy, stop thinkin' and buy the damn JS-2!! @) 8) :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Of course, for that kind of money you could get a nice little 3D printer ... Just sayin'. @) @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”