Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You mentioned the jammed roadwheel, Percy. When assembled properly, Pz IV wheels have one of the most fluid movements you'll find on any model tank.. :) However, the builder
might have glued the shaft to the wheel somehow, when bonding the two halves together- with an excess of zeal..and glue. 8O Perhaps he used superglue instead of Tamiya's ABS cement for the job. :think:
You could always use one of the two spare wheels, that come with the model, to make a replacement, if necessary. I think I may have the bushes and shaft needed to build a wheel. Alternatively,
you could remove the reluctant roller, and use de-bonder to strip it down. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

The problem seems to be the whole assembly of one of the wheel bogies

Not sure exactly what is wrong at the moment but I plan to remove the bogie and strip it down and rebuild it

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah... yes. It's quite a tricky assembly. Here's a diagram for assistance, if you need it. :thumbup: I think I have most of the bits needed to make a new one, but stripping the unit down, should sort the problem out.
I like your idea of making a mould for the hull retaining screw's cover, by the way. Good solution. Cheap too :thumbup:
Good luck, Glyn!. Will be following along with interest.. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Warning! The MB4 screws are made of some kind of compacted butter. That means if the guy that assembled this tank used the provided tamiya thread lock, it is going to be hard or impossible to remove them. My tip is to put a soldering iron over them for a while, and then to try to unscrew them carefully.

If you break them, you can install good quality laptop screws. (About 1 euro free shipping for 100 of them in aliexpress).

I replaced all the MB4 screws in my PIV, and cant be happier.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

I sell nuts and bolts for a living so getting replacements for the mb4 screws won't be a problem. soldering iron on them first is a great tip
Thanks

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Did a couple of quite productive hours this evening

Tracks now same length and track tension correct and even

Fitted reciever

Fixed gun elevation which was incorrectly fitted plus had a large staple in the gears so was not working

Repaired turret armour brackets and started to clean them up

Fixed issue of gun mantlet being off square. Now all looks good and true

Set Tamiya dmd to use my flysky radio

I have a question for any Tamiya users reading this. I have used the set button on the dmd and calibrated the sticks as per the manual. The tank drives and steers correctly, the gun elevation and turret rotation are both working but I can not get any gun functions to work so no recoil, no flash, no machine gun. Had any one got any suggestions where I am going wrong. Also is it possible to make the main gun fire by using one of the switches on my flysky controller

Thanks for looking
Glyn
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

percy1510 wrote:[url=https://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Perc ... .jpeg.html]

I have a question for any Tamiya users reading this. I have used the set button on the dmd and calibrated the sticks as per the manual. The tank drives and steers correctly, the gun elevation and turret rotation are both working but I can not get any gun functions to work so no recoil, no flash, no machine gun. Had any one got any suggestions where I am going wrong. Also is it possible to make the main gun fire by using one of the switches on my flysky controller

Thanks for looking
Glyn
Sure thing, program your switch to send a signal of +125 in ch 3 (or the one you are using for elevating the barrel), and it will shoot the cannon, and another switch with -125 and it will shoot the MG.
Plan B is to use the trims and sticks, but thats annoying.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Percy, I have two each of the B3 and B13 parts, (that will give you one as a spare). I'll PM you for address. -Mike
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

sassgrunt wrote:Percy, I have two each of the B3 and B13 parts, (that will give you one as a spare). I'll PM you for address. -Mike

Mike you are the example of a good kind hearted person and your willingness to help members of the forum including myself is simply incredible. :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Managed to get the gun and machine gun working. I did another dmd reset but this time stuck at ball of Blue tac around the stick on the transmitter for Chanel 3 so that the stick could not go all the way. Then removed the blue tac after the reset so that the stick has full movement and hey presto the gun functions are now working.

Tonight’s job is to try and get the wheel bogie that isn’t working off and see what the problem is

Return to “Tamiya Builds”