Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
percy1510
Corporal

Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by percy1510 »

Hello All
I got my hands on this Tamiya Panzer IV at the weekend. Its the full option kit but as you can see it is in a pretty poor state. it has not been used much as it has been sitting on a shelf but it will need pretty much starting again to get it right. problems I have spotted so far
Turret armour is not in correct place, it is glued to the supports but not in the correct places. The right hand side sticks forward about 10mm further than the left

One of the wheels is jammed

one of the tracks is a good few links longer than the other

the added armour at the front of the hull is at an angle

turret gun elevation is installed incorrectly so there is no elevation and the gun is just flopped in a downward angle.

loads of blobs of glue on hull and turret, luckily it seems to scrape of easily leaving no damage. Not sure what type of glue it is

obviously paint job is not good so will get repainted in dark yellow with a green and brown scribble cammo scheme

I love a challenge and thought it would be a good idea to this picture so that I can post finished pics when it is done.
Glyn
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lucky man, Percy !!! Finding a Tamiya pzIV in any condition is a bit like finding Blackbeard's Treasure :haha:
Here's a pic of the one I built; newly completed (Minus the retaining bar =for the spare wheels). It's sitting in a base coat of Dunkegelb presently, while I decide whether it will sport Finnish or German camo, and real detail (pinwashes etc., unit markings, blah, blah).
Use this pic to correct the armour, if it helps, and
You'll find more like it on this build thread (quite far on..) : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23848&hilit=contemplating
Do populate the screen with more detailed pics! Where on Earth did you get it anyway? :D There are quite a few Pz IV fans on this board. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...Details later, but the barrel droop is probably due to the elevating arm's knuckle joint coming adrift. That's no big problem, is an easy fix...if you have double jointed fingers, :D I have a few Pz IV spares for the running gear and other bits.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

I can see the problem with the elevation. The whole unit is fitted incorrectly. Think I will take the turrett apart this evening and correct everything. Also just noticed that the barrel is at a slight left angle. One part I am missing if anyone has it in thier spares is one of the screw covers from the front of the hull. It is disguised as a hinge

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The parts you need, Percy, (B3, B13,) are on the 'B" sprue. Axel may have the sprue in (I'll check later). I don't have spares for that fitting, I'm afraid. They are easy to lose- and that probably accounts for the one your Pz IV's missing. :problem:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The good news: the 'B' sprue is in stock at Axel's.. The not so good news: it's 14.5 euros + shipping. https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... -1-16.html
My Pz IV build was a completely unplanned experiment. I wanted to see whether it was possible to build the full-option version from spares. It was, but the spares bills soon mounted up... 8O
Luckily, I had lots of help, and in particular from a great forum member who lives in the middle of the Pacific :thumbup: (You know, that plastic ocean :| )
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

It appears you have struck gold as this is also my favorite tank. Looks like someone attempted to build something they weren't prepared for and did thier best to assemble it :crazy:

Should be a bit tedious to repair, but not too bad. Following along :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I will post updates to the thread as I go and as ever your suggestions and advice is most welcome

Regarding the missing screw cover. I think that I will attempt to use the one that I have as a mould to make a new one.

Interestingly the chap that I got this from built model aeroplane's for a living. He worked for a company that send him new models which he has to build and test to iron out any problems before new models go into production

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Percy check your PM.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »