2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S gold label receivers?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Jim Reeves
Recruit

2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S gold label receivers?

Post by Jim Reeves »

The last two Henglong tanks I've received with the latest 2.4gHz, gold label version 5.3S receiver boards have gone rogue. For no apparent reason, I turned on the tanks this week and the right stick control on the transmitter has switched itself from up/down = forward/backwards, to up/down = turn left/right. Forwards/backwards now requires left/right on the right stick.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've made no changes to either tank and a close inspection of the receiver boards shows no bad solder joints or loose wire connections.
All of my other tanks have the 2.4gHz silver label 5.3 receiver boards and have been very reliable. I'm mystified! :crazy:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S gold label receivers?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That really is weird, have you checked the transmitters?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jim Reeves
Recruit

Post by Jim Reeves »

Yes, even binding with a known good 5.3 Tx still causes the problem, when used with these two receivers. I can't see any difference between the TX that was supplied with the 5.3 silver receivers than the TX supplied with the gold receivers. No cracked traces on the receiver boards and all the solder points look clean.

I'm wondering if there's a flaw in the design, which is why I've asked for other possible examples of this. Both gold labeled receivers do everything else as they should. I guess I'll have to get used to driving them sideways!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

That's truly mysterious. 8O
If there are no problems with the traces, a bulging capacitor might cause anomalous behaviour; but not on two units. Years ago, bad caps were a real pain on lots of laptop brands.
It almost sounds as if the firmware has been corrupted, somehow. Too near some electromagnets? :wtf:
You've not has a visit from some extra-terrestrials, have you? It's that odd.
I would have suggested re-binding the boards, but clearly, you've already done that and more. :problem:
I once had a problem with functions being re-assigned, when I didn't follow usual start-up procedure, and when the battery wasn't fully charged. That was on a Heng Long Tiger 1.
Rebinding sorted it out.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jim Reeves
Recruit

Post by Jim Reeves »

Well, I've ordered two new receivers and asked the ebay seller to be sure that they are 5.3 (non S) silver label boards. We'll see how that turns out! Let this serve as a warning for others.
What I still don't understand is just what the difference is with these two generations of receivers, all of the functions available to the operation of the tanks is the same??? ???
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jim Reeves wrote:Well, I've ordered two new receivers and asked the ebay seller to be sure that they are 5.3 (non S) silver label boards. We'll see how that turns out! Let this serve as a warning for others.
What I still don't understand is just what the difference is with these two generations of receivers, all of the functions available to the operation of the tanks is the same??? ???
Not only is the switch in function baffling, Jim, but the version numbering system HL uses even more so. :crazy: If the 5.3s revision is the latest they have to offer, why is the New leopard touted as having version
Tk 6.0, when Heng Long Panzer in Germany describe as v 6.0, generation '4'. :think: I guess the MFU is supposed to be the 6th revision, while the transmitter is the 4th version. But clear answers are not easy to come by.
Elsewhere, I've even seen the latest MFu listed as v.7 on Ebay. 8O
The version in the latest Leo 2A6 is meant to offer wifi, camera among other features including- it would appear, the possibility of adding an IR receiver to the BB setup. Now, that really would be a significant difference.
It's also a guess, but with these extra features (irrespective of the observable PCB revision number) it might be that some boards are not now compatible with Transmitters ostensibly in the '5' (or is it 6. or 7?)
series.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Isn't it possible to change the wiring around in the transmitter on the right stick?

I know you shouldn't have to, but surely it would be a fix?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jim Reeves
Recruit

Post by Jim Reeves »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Isn't it possible to change the wiring around in the transmitter on the right stick?

I know you shouldn't have to, but surely it would be a fix?
I looked, and the sticks are surface mounted to a single circuit board, so no go. My desoldering skills and equipment are lacking! I remember the old Futaba Tx's were wired as you suggest and was hoping for that sort of work-around.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, that's a shame.
I haven't looked inside one yet, so didn't realise.

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Post by Jim Reeves »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Not only is the switch in function baffling, Jim, but the version numbering system HL uses even more so. :crazy: If the 5.3s revision is the latest they have to offer, why is the New leopard touted as having version
Tk 6.0, when Heng Long Panzer in Germany describe as v 6.0, generation '4'. :think: I guess the MFU is supposed to be the 6th revision, while the transmitter is the 4th version. But clear answers are not easy to come by.
Elsewhere, I've even seen the latest MFu listed as v.7 on Ebay. 8O
The version in the latest Leo 2A6 is meant to offer wifi, camera among other features including- it would appear, the possibility of adding an IR receiver to the BB setup. Now, that really would be a significant difference.
It's also a guess, but with these extra features (irrespective of the observable PCB revision number) it might be that some boards are not now compatible with Transmitters ostensibly in the '5' (or is it 6. or 7?)
series.
I noticed the TK 6.0 while shopping. The Tx does appear the same, but who knows what may have changed internally. There's nothing with 6.0 that appeals to me (not looking to make a drone tank!), but it may offer a "all in one" solution for others. The new motor connections look to possibly offer higher amp loads than the 5.3, so perhaps the esc's have been beefed up? Makes one wonder anyway.

Return to “Heng Long”