Tamiya Display models - fitting gearbox

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tamiya Display models - fitting gearbox

Post by c.rainford73 »

The kit works with the later model cases with the black covers....

Found this on another forum.....

"Tamiya supplies a replacement set for the latest generation of gearboxes (the ones with the black plastic cover).
It contains all gears, bearings, shafts etc.for one gearbox. The ordernumber is 9415807."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oh, cool, I'm so used to heng long/taigen Sherman's having shorter gearbox shafts than jag Panthers, I forgot the tamiya Sherman's have long shafts the same as their Pershing etc..
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

That's weird Carl, I put your part number in the Tamiya parts data base and got this? Only two tanks it associates with that number?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I know Mick. This is all new to me .... I'm sure someone on the forum has a better understanding of the kit and explanation :haha:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, I've found a pair of jag panther boxes for €110

Also found a pair of jag panther drive shafts for €10

Edit, also found the drive shaft bearings that aren't in the gear kit for €10 a pair.

And if the spacer bars are needed, that's another €5 per box, plus screws.
Talking a minimum of €35 per box, plus shipping, and that's all depending whether the metal gearbox casing is in the tank.

Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

Thanks for very quick help guys.

Now here You can see what parts from gearboxes are within static kit:
https://youtu.be/RfxkGa5CnbA?t=579
c.rainford73 wrote:Here's a better link
https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ProductD ... de=9415807
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
As long as this set will complete gearbox (or couple of more small parts), than it will make sense to order kit and also those parts for gearbox. I will just need some guidance as I have no experience with Tamiya tanks (but definitely like to build one).
Also I would like to know, about shipping costs to Slovakia.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

This would be a good opportunity for Carson from DKLM to make a plate for his propulsion dynamics gearbox to fit in a Tamiya. I've thought about doing the same thing as you Smaily as I'm not a fan of the Tamiya electronics but I do like their kits. The gearboxes was a sticking point for me too so I'm very interested to hear how you go.
Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

Exactly B_Man. I am not interested on Tamiya electronics at all, so it is not worth of buying any full option kit. I would like to have all canon movement done using servos and most probably I will use OP TCB as a brain of tank (not decided about sound unit, but that has time).

I have found this page from DisplayModel manual:

Now big question for those with experience, if set mentioned earlier will complete one gearbox, so two sets, full gearboxes. Or what additional parts will be needed. That is last thing that I need to know before I order kit and gearbox set.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Smaily wrote:Exactly B_Man. I am not interested on Tamiya electronics at all, so it is not worth of buying any full option kit.
Hi, I already answered you the same in facebook, lol. As I told you, it is not a bad idea to get the full option kit and sell the tamiya electronics. I am sure doing it will make you save money, and you will have the gearboxes, the black gearboxe grease guard (that I think you cannot buy alone, and is needed because prevents the gearboxes to dismount themselves!) and the speaker which has a very good quality.

But thats my humble opinion.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I bought the same Jagdpanther display kit last year, thinking that if prices were high then, in the future (post -the currently mythic Brexit) they'd be somewhere out in the Cosmos. :|
The AAF museum is an excellent Tamiya parts resource for but, even if you can persuade them to ship at a budget rate (default rate can cost more than some significant parts ordered 8O ), it can still be very pricey.
I often buy from Axel but he, in turn, gets most (if not all) his spares from Tamiya's European HQ. Formerly, that was Dickie-Tamiya. Now they're restyled 'Tamiya-Carson'. Shipping from Europe means, for the present anyway,
VAT is already paid, and shipping rates are well below those of the US. Shipping from the US may also incur additional Customs charges. (Depending on the product and its value.)
All of that said, I've never bought from Tamiya-Carson direct, so their spares dept. is an unknown factor to me.
https://www.tamiya.de/en/products/rc-mo ... tanks/I've never tried Tamiya's UK rep.,
Tamiya's default UK outlet is the Hobbyco. Again, I've never dealt with them, but I find their website slow and clunky. I don't know about you lot, but that can be off putting. :think:
http://www.hobbyco.net/scripts/oe11.3/c ... gkabMcjgck
See what i mean.. :D
As for the gear repair kit, as far as I'm able to tell, the innards (gears and shafts) are probably the same for most full-option models. I'd guess only the frame, output shafts, and standoff positions differ from one another.
I have a brace of old Sherman gearboxes, and I'm going to try to transplant them into the gear frames supplied with the kit. There's no harm in trying, eh?
Adam, (Ad Lav) is probably our Tamiya professor. I'm sure he'll know what possible options there are. :thumbup: Where are you, Adam? :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”