Width of jagdpanther tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Width of jagdpanther tracks

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, I am investigating how to do tracks for a 1/6 scale universal carrier, and jagdpanther tracks have the right profile but I'm not sure they are wide enough. Can someone with a jagdpanther please measure and let me know?

The universal carrier has tracks that are 10 inches wide so 1/6 scale would be around 40mms.

Thanks

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Width of jagdpanther tracks

Post by HERMAN BIX »

My Taigen steel ones are 41.8 mm .
Call it 41 with paint & dirt !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi, I am investigating how to do tracks for a 1/6 scale universal carrier, and jagdpanther tracks have the right profile but I'm not sure they are wide enough. Can someone with a jagdpanther please measure and let me know?

The universal carrier has tracks that are 10 inches wide so 1/6 scale would be around 40mms.

Thanks

1/16 scale Panther tracks are 42mm wide (Taigen)
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hi, Alwyn!
The tracks on my virgin Tamiya Jagdpather kit are 40.5mm,
Hope that helps forming a consensus, or average. :D
One of these days, I'd love to build a Bren Carrier. My Dad, and his brother, both used then for recce sorties. As an incidental, my Uncle's Carrier also sported a 3in mortar (he was a Mortar instructor).
Regards,
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, I make 10 inches in 6th scale to be 42.333r mm. Looks like the Taigen ones are close enough :thumbup:

Gosh, I'm going to LOVE this build Alwyn :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I’m proper looking forward to this Alwyn
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Well, I make 10 inches in 6th scale to be 42.333r mm. Looks like the Taigen ones are close enough :thumbup:

Gosh, I'm going to LOVE this build Alwyn :thumbup:

Seeing your conversion, Mick, reminded me of one of my all-time favourite Tank-related websites: JimBob-Wan's to be precise. I'd recommend it for anyone new to the hobby, and maybe a few old hands who've forgotten what a treasure trove of articulate info it is. :thumbup:
Anyway, he has a useful scale speed calculator conversion tool-
https://www.jbwid.com/art74i.htm
as well as a very basic, but easy to use, scale (up/down) converter:
https://www.jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm

Alwyn, I'm still in awe of your 1/16 Universal Carrier scratch build from (blueprints). It was so good, it almost put me off scratch handiwork for life 8O . (Inferiority complex :| :D ) In the end, though, it was what got me started. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement. Its not actua?ly me whos building this but markylee, but having said that I'll probably have to build one to get the suspension component design right so heyho it should be fun. What worries me is the drive/propulsion/gearbox issues as a standard gearbox probably won't cut it both from power and scale speed point of view. I fancy the propulsion that was on the 1/6 hetzer but dont have enough knowledge of the components/method of construction etc. I'll probably need advice/support from those in the 1/6 arena.one thing's for sure, everything will need bearings.

Anyway this will only get going properly when I get back from hols. If it works I may be selling suspension/wheel kits. ;)

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I printed the scale blueprints and SHEESH this thing is big 8O 8O :crazy:

Quite intimidating really. At least it will fit in a car boot!

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

This may be of interest Image

ZYTOYS 1/6 Scale WWII BREN Light Machine Gun Model for 12" Action Figure https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3514620195

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”