Very late stug

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Very late stug

Post by c.rainford73 »

Absolutely beautiful Tom
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Tom what is your chipping secret? It looks very convincing :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Outstanding modeling and painting!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks guys. Carl I used hairspray for the chipping, been a while and I probably overdid it a little but it's a late war tank so I think I can get away with it.

I was half asleep last night when I made the last post and forgot to mention the filter. This is a very think oil layer which alters the overall tone. In this case I used mig "the filter" tan for Tri colour camo. The filter also blends together and tones down the bright tones of the modulation.

Next I added a coat of future (original recipe booya!) to seal the paint so far and it supposedly helps with the pin wash, anything the makes pin washes easier and neater can't be bad in my book! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

incredibly realistic finish on this model Tom, truly a work of art and obviously the result of a lot of hours painstaking work. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Great detailing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A rough diamond Mr Hugill :thumbup:
I still cant get my head around using that 'future' stuff you guys like up there, but hey, it seems to work !
I must ask, isnt it liberating when you can be as rough as you like, but that still looks like you intended it that way !
StuG's are just that , can be as rough or as neat as you like, all options are right.
I like the swing armour skirts over the conventional ones, better for our scale & certainly the best option for actual mobile models over static masterpieces.

Stowage on the deck ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

HERMAN BIX wrote:A rough diamond Mr Hugill Image
I still cant get my head around using that 'future' stuff you guys like up there, but hey, it seems to work !
I must ask, isnt it liberating when you can be as rough as you like, but that still looks like you intended it that way !
StuG's are just that , can be as rough or as neat as you like, all options are right.
I like the swing armour skirts over the conventional ones, better for our scale & certainly the best option for actual mobile models over static masterpieces.

Stowage on the deck ?
Futures labled as floor polish but is essentially acrylic varnish (clear coat etc). I think the main draws were is it dries very very quickly, it's cheap for a large amount and it works well, however they changed the formula a few years back and it's now cloudy not clear and people dont like it. I found mine in my sister's cleaning cupboard in their new house!

Thanks for the kind words, I agree I like the regimented early colour schemes and the neatness of them and also the last ditch feel of the later war tanks.

There will be crew and stowage, maybe a bike, couple Jerry cans, tarp etc

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That looks fantastic Tom :clap: :clap:

As for your "varnish" the EU made strict changes in paint manufacture a while back. They brought in laws to reduce the Volatile Organic Compounds used in paint and coatings manufacture. That's why paints/coatings aren't as good as they used to be. And why oil based gloss white yellows quicker these days.

It cost paint manufacturers a fortune to find alternative "ingredients" to work, and why paint/coatings went up in price a few years ago.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Little bit more done on the stug, this time it's weathering with oils, streaking grime, rain marks and other grey brown colours, streaked and spotted to fade the colour scheme. Also added some bare metal tones to some of the red oxide patches and some streaked rust. I think some graphite to bring these out next and maybe some more rust pigment before everything gets a final Matt coat. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Heng Long Builds”