Hull strengthening Heng Long Leopard 2a6

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
seb4
Private

Hull strengthening Heng Long Leopard 2a6

Post by seb4 »

This Leo is a big one and the hull sides are not very stiff. So being very lazy I thought ok ok it's fine. And it probably is.

But after one the tracks broke after one month of use ( yeah driving through the clay soaked polders of The Netherlands is a great idea :( ) I got time to fiddle and twiddle.

I don't know if it really helps but I force myself to think it really helps 8|

U profile alu balks fastened with superglue, a hard plastic L profile at the left side and at the back a green painted hard plastic tube. Two soft plastic balks to reinforce the rear grille, cause I have that habit to smash the rear to everything. The soft plastic hopefully help as shock absorbs, alu ones could just help to breaking the hull. Well maybe.

Also some plasticard to minimize water coming in the gear box department.

And added some extra weight in the fore hull part.

Please feel free to say "you could have as well have going to McDonalds, time better spent" or so :wtf:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hull strengthening Heng Long Leopard 2a6

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Nope, U channel is a good idea, can use smaller section than a similar strength angle.
One thing, I would recommend screws with nuts to hold it in place for better and safer mechanical fixing.

Could you not fix the U channel all the way along without the L angle on that side? Would be stronger with a continuous length like the other side.

Edit: "Nope" is to the McDonalds comment.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Nope, U channel is a good idea, can use smaller section than a similar strength angle.
One thing, I would recommend screws with nuts to hold it in place for better and safer mechanical fixing.
Yes I was thinking about that, and maybe do one time. Drawbacks, maybe? These nuts come outside of the hulls and will be a place were the real muds stick to it with the possible risk of accumulating to much mud which can hamper the movement of the tracks.

It is already this without nuts:

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Use countersunk screws with their heads flush in the outside plastic, then the nuts on the inside :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Use countersunk screws with their heads flush in the outside plastic, then the nuts on the inside :thumbup:
Good idea :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Screws like this with the head on the outside.

Countersunk Head Screws, Hexagon Socket Products | Zoro UK
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/fasteners/c ... kPEALw_wcB

seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Nope, U channel is a good idea, can use smaller section than a similar strength angle.

Could you not fix the U channel all the way along without the L angle on that side? Would be stronger with a continuous length like the other side.

Edit: "Nope" is to the McDonalds comment.
Yep would be better, but this L angle was attached some time ago, and fixed with superglue. Could always remove but yeah I am lazy. :crazy: Must say this L profile being this big is quite stiff.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Or possibly 4mm if the nuts will fit in the channel. It's just to help the glue when the chassis/hull tries to flex.

seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Screws like this with the head on the outside.

Countersunk Head Screws, Hexagon Socket Products | Zoro UK
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/fasteners/c ... kPEALw_wcB
Looks good :clap:
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Or possibly 4mm if the nuts will fit in the channel. It's just to help the glue when the chassis/hull tries to flex.
Will do that in stage 2 of the never ending mod story. ;D

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”