My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

I just ordered an Aber fire extinguisher. It looks like a very detailed brass kit and should be fun to assemble. I have the decals for it already. Modeling in this scale is much easier than my previous 1/87 scale model railroad stuff.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Sign of getting old Mr Jimster ;)

Only trouble with this 16th scale, it takes up a lot of space.

As for paints, I've only ever used those school types, humbrol and testor enamels, games workshop water colours, and pactra lexan paint, oh, and all the types used for/in construction. hence my lack of knowledge past those with modelling specific paints.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick one of the great advantages of Acrylic Paint is if you want to repaint your tank you can "WASH" the old paint off with Acrylic Thinners and start over whereas "Enamel" paint can be a real pain to remove.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are going to get into Photo-Etch I would recommend you search out "VOYAGER" Products they have a much smaller range in 1/16 but the quality is as good as "ABER" and usually less finicky as well as cheaper. :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

True. I haven’t used enamel paint very often in quite a while. The quality of modern acrylic paints has definitely improved and easier to use for me. A top coat of clear finish helps with the durability of it.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Really, oh wow, that's good to know, thanks :thumbup:
Yeah, the beauty of enamel, I used to use it for toy soldiers so that it coped better with handling.
So, does this mean it will remove heng long/taigen paint too?

Sorry Mr Jimster, for derailing your thread a bit :{

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Yes Acrylic Thinners will remove Heng Long Paint but as with a night in a Bar Moderation is everything,
Too much can damage the Plastic/ABS.
If you are going to use Clear Varnish to protect your Paintwork make sure the room is not cold or the finish will be "foggy. :thumbdown: "
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

No chance of that in this house with my missus, always too hot :crazy:

But thanks again Shaun :thumbup:

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Tonight I mounted the drive sprockets and metal tracks and took her for a test run. Things went pretty well but my battery was near death so I brought it inside. Then I I noticed that a circlip had come off of a gear shaft and allowed two gears to slide off! Luckily I found the circlip and the brass tube bushing which had also slippped off the shaft. I put it all back together and put a little squeeze on the circlip to tighten it up. Now all is well.
Attachments
122EAE8F-7065-4A46-862D-E0C0C5DC1409.jpeg
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks to RC Mojo YouTube videos I figured out how to install the front metal tab and rear latch pieces to the HL upper deck. The quick release lever that mounts under the left rear of the body is genius. Now I can remove the top in seconds instead of removing 6 screws. This Taigen metal hull has been a super upgrade! The new gears and motors enable it run at a much slower, realistic speed. Much better.
Now I can focus more on the outside cosmetic details.
Attachments
22C423AD-EB23-47E0-92EC-D459618180B8.jpeg

Return to “Heng Long Builds”