An interesting commission - Maultier panzerwerfer 42

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: An interesting commission - Maultier panzerwerfer 42

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well that's the drive system sorted, the motor housing printed and installed

The drive shaft isn't 100% straight but close enough.

Now on to the suspension

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Cool suspension setup

Have you got all the bearings on those axles? Picture looks like you only got 2, but you need 4.

As for motor what you gonna use?
I working on a few twin mount at moment. But easily convert it over to single. I have different size motors and speeds and voltages for playing around with. I reckon a geared 25mm motor would work great and give you loads of torque
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Will, I didn't have space for the other 2 bearings as I had to steal the bearing space to fit the ends of the hex nuts. Can you point me at a suitable motor please, I can sort the housing out to suit my limited space. The WTP motor won't be powerful enough and the gearbox won't take it I don't think.

Thanks

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well a tough day at the office! 8O 8O

I printed off the rest of the components for the suspension and did a trial fit. The suspension units were too big and didn't fit. So no problem thought I, just move the drive shaft and the idler out a bit to make more space. DUH, the tracks were too short and I didn't have spare track links. :{ :{

Next plan, make the components smaller to fit, so I trimmed off a few mms from the idler and the road wheels, and suddenly realised I could also trim a few mms off the swing arms because the wheels were smaller - success, in fact it should be possible to take out a link from the track, but I'll leave that to Herman when he does his build giving him a couple of spare track links.

and here's the pile of scrap components from a very 'interesting' day as per the ancient Chinese curse!

Alls well that ends well. Just have to print off the components for the other side and build the spring units for the suspension, and revisit the front suspension and steering units with the new metal components.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Phew, printing all done! I took a link out and it is sitting just right. Just the springs and the front suspension to do tomorrow.
and with the motor in position

It's been a busy day but I'm really pleased with the end result. :D :D

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Looks awesome Alwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

What’s to be said !!!?
The innovation and determination is mind blowing.
Even the consideration for the need for a spare track link, just astounding.

The radio system? What’s a recommended set up?
Obviously there’s no ‘42 sound set laying around but one of the “you-beaut “ systems might work.
Be a shame not to have sound at all.

With the rear running gear, would it be wise to get spare sprockets printed?
Just in case.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Herman, thanks for the good words. Last night I discovered that Asiatam have lots of spares for their halftrack
https://www.asiatam.de/index.php?cat=c9 ... -1-16.html
This includes tyres, wheels, complete front suspension, sprockets, even a drive axle and a complete running chassis (if you have 310 euros to spare) although I think my chassis and suspension is a little better than theirs although their scaling is more accurate.

At least spares for tracks and sprockets are readily available Herman, although I will print off a spare set of brake drums as these are the only bits of the transmission that aren't bulletproof.

For the model you will need a four or six channel tx/rx, an ECU
Here is an example although there are lots - perhaps someone can recommend one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-20A- ... rk:24:pf:0

For sound there's the Dasmicro or equivalent
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Car-Truck ... ctupt=true

There's enough there to keep you busy, not to mentionbuilding the upper hull. :D :D

If you go with at least a 4 channel rx you will be able to have a rotate and elevate on the rocket launcher. :D :thumbup:

Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I wouldn't use that speed controller, it doresn't have a reverse... I use these in all of my trucks:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-ESC-Brus ... 0005.m1851
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Tiger that does look a better (and cheaper) option - there you go Herman. Can someone recommend a good sound unit to go with it?

Alwyn

Return to “Other Builds”