An interesting commission - Maultier panzerwerfer 42

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: An interesting commission - Maultier panzerwerfer 42

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress on mounting the axle, I designed the mounting bracket and by some major miracle the first design and print actually worked! !!! 8O :crazy:

Still a lot to do but this is a major step forward. I've done the idler mount so hopefully that should also work. There should be a smilie for fingers crossed!

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Alwyn, that is really beautiful work! Herman is going to be very proud of it, I'm sure. Thank you for sharing your progress with such a unique project.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Now we are really motoring!
Working out where the motor fits
and a suspension is born

Next comes the mountings for the motor and the suspension units

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I've just received the metal bits for the axles and I'm mightily impressed, especially with all the bearings supplied. I'm going to be rebuilding both front and rear axle and steering assembly

Herman this is going to be a pretty mean base for your build. :D :D

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good grief!!!......I'm happy enough to stop there and just look at the chassis & be satisfied that its better than all of mine :O
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

When assemblnig the metal axle kits, just pay close attention to the front dogbones. They take a little playing about to stop them binding on steering. Sometimes they require longer dogbones inserted to replace what they come with. But i have several of these conversion kits now and have upgraded all my WPL/HL trucks with them. Probably have £250+ in metal axle kits lyaing about in various models! whooops!

Can i please ask a question. Where do those front tyres come from? They look great
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks for the input and advice Will, much appreciated. Fortunately we won't be using the dogbones as the front axle is unpowered. The wheels and tyres are from sasgrunt and I believe they are surplus off an Asiatam Maultier build.

https://www.asiatam.de/product_info.php ... odell.html

Alwyn

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Started on the rear axle rebuild, this is real Swiss watch territory! 8O :crazy:

eventually after a lot of fiddling around (these fingers really don't work as well as they used to - damn aging it takes all the fun out of things!)

Now the problem with all this suspension stuff is that there isn't really space under the chassis for the motor, so it will have to go above the chassis - no problem because there's plenty of space in the upper hull.

EXCEPT that the universal joint on the chassis will really be straining, so I am busy redesigning and printing the axle mount to angle the prop shaft towards the motor and print a motor housing that's angled. I think with this jigsaw I've now got some corner and edge pieces and a bit of the sky :D :D :crazy:

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

You are doing a brilliant job on this Alwyn, I would have leapt off a tall building long ago. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The updated axle mount and brake drums are fitted and the axle now points the drive shaft in the right direction

Looking better, just needs the suspension bits adding

Off to print and assemble all the bits

Return to “Other Builds”