My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

My first rc tank is the latest Heng Long Tiger with the metal tracks, gears and such. I’m in the process of modifying it with details and weathering. I’m not replicating a specific prototype tank but just trying to represent a generic battle tested warrior. I realize I tend to be too heavy on the weathering. So far I have started on the rear end and I’m having a lot of fun with this project.
Attachments
052788E6-A356-4C6F-AA82-0B23B5BCEC37.jpeg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Go ya hardest mate, thanks for pictures along the way.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
square4
Lance Corporal

Post by square4 »

good start, will follow this. :thumbup:
I never finish anyth
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, that rear end looks amazing, just the right level of wear and tear :thumbup: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks gentlemen! I’ve been a long time model railroader and most of the skills carry over quite nicely. I promise to see this project through so that we don’t have an unfinished build thread. I just ordered some decal sets last night.
A couple of quick questions: what’s a good choice for reduction gearing to slow her down and I’m going to relocate the antenna to the proper spot but there’s no wiring going to it. Is the antenna not needed?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Depends if you have a 2.4 gig or crystal, yes with Crystal, no with 2.4 gig.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thank you. I’ve got the 2.4.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You'll have an internal antenna in that case, doesn't need connecting to an external one.

As for gearboxes, anything with a bigger gear ratio is better than standard. It would reduce the revs and raise the torque at the sprocket, providing the motors have enough oomph for the bigger difference.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Removing the aerial base is a job that if it is not done with care can split the ABS around it,
I just SNIP the aerial base off flush and file flat anything left proud.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks for the info, guys. I’ve already removed the old antenna mount and got lucky with no damage to the surrounding plastic. I’ll fill in the hole. I’m debating on reusing the old antenna and base or making a more realistic version.
I’ll have to do some internet searches for replacement gears. I never realized how big this rc tank hobby is! More fun than model railroading so far.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”