Taigen JS2

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
tomhugill
Captain

Taigen JS2

Post by tomhugill »

Hey guys,

Not see. One of these posted up as yet. Not a build as such, yet...but a few pictures and some details.

So first impressions are very good. I bought this as a damaged model from forebear and it set me back £270 (£30 eBay coupon included) plus post, which for what you're getting its absolutely stellar.

The chassis is the all metal rather than the metal insert type found on the German taigen tanks.

This model follows the pattern of the taigen releases with everything being metal apart from the upper hull. You get a metal turret, metal tracks, sprockets and idlers, metal wheels, taigen type 2 steel gearboxes which I think have bearings.

On the electronics front there are some new developments too.

First off is the flash, traditionally taigen tanks have used the HL xenon flash unit. This creates a great effect but latterly had become prone to failure after a short amount of time. The new offering uses high power smd LEDs and I think is just as good as the xenon flash.

Next up looks to be a different smoker which I haven't tested yet.

Finally is the big one, the taigen V3 electrics with is2 sound card. This one was a pleasant surprise. I've only had the original taigen T5 control board and it was pretty basic with poor low speed control pretty much a 2.4ghz rx18 with some switches. This on the other hand drives superbly on the concrete of my back yard, creep speed is better than my none sbus Clark tk60/24, ibu2 etc. Theres an option to use a hobby grade radio which I'll try and report back on, there's a switch to turn off the God aweful track recoil and lastly there's the sound card. This whilst not a patch on the latest 3rd part boards does a decent job, it will be interesting to test with a better speaker. The sounds superior to the tk20 sound but doesn't have as many sound steps, which in some ways is a good thing and you don't get the obvious step changes, overall I was pleasantly surprised. The other thing here is you can add a mako 2018 board for not a lot and you have a fully tamiya compatible battle tank with decent sound for around £300!

Taigen haven't stopped the inovations at the electrics, there's a really nice hindged upper hull feature which Daryl turner originally pioneered, this makes minor tinkering and battery changing a breeze. If you need to do more serious work the struts are on split pins which come apart when you want them too very easily and the rear hinge has a rod which pulls out. Top marks there taigen.

Everything inside looks neat and well thought out, the 360 rotations a great thing to have, I need to check but there's what looks like a fiber optic cable out the rear mg on the turret so that could light up too.

The detail of the model is decent if not quite upto the standard of the more expensive tamiya, and only by virtue that the Taigen doesn't have photo etch parts. Something that did catch my attention was the headlamp cover which is a separate clear part and looks very accurate, something HL and taigen headlamps have historically missed. The turret has a cast texture which is a bit too even for my taste but is still a nice detail, same with the lower hull. It has separate handles for the engine hatch (nice touch), the engine hatch opens to access the on switch, charging jack and the volume, again a really nice feature. It has working hatches for the commander and gunner, the commanders features the IR port for the reciver (which is included).

The paint job is ok, better most of the RTR models I've seen however in my opinion it would have been better without the weathering.

Overall for the £270 I paid there isn't a better value model out there. Even at the £400 mark they're going for it represents great value.

I'm not sure how many are left but hit forgebear up if you want one!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by tomhugill on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lert
Sergeant

Re: Taigen JS2

Post by Lert »

Awesome. I'd been waiting for good pictures!
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Thanks Tom, seeing you getting yours before Xmas just makes the rest of us patiently waiting even more disappointed ....

But yes, looks gorgeous! Indeed, the paint finish looks somewhat better than the one shown in the Russian model shop video example. Lets hope they are all like this. Any concrete update Dave? I'm fast running out of my stress tablets... wibble wibble....

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Very nice Tom, great score :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Tom,
I am awaiting one of these from Dave and Julie as well. Latest shipping update says late in the day on Christmas Eve so the timing couldn't be better. ;o) Thanks for the quality pictures. They make the anticipation that much stronger!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
forgebear

Post by forgebear »

well we have had a rush on the damaged ones so we are now waiting on new stock for next year we got the first 20 in but they had damage to them we hope the next 30 that come in will be ok
Last edited by forgebear on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

All 20 damaged! So when can we expect to get an undamaged one? I can't pretend I'm not disappointed as its been a very long wait.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

forgebear wrote:well we have had a rush on the damaged ones so we are now waiting on new stock for next year we go the first 20 in but they had damage to them we hoe the next 30 that come in will be ok
Are you selling the damaged ones ? To what extend are the damages ?

MichaelC.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

MichaelC wrote:
forgebear wrote:well we have had a rush on the damaged ones so we are now waiting on new stock for next year we go the first 20 in but they had damage to them we hoe the next 30 that come in will be ok
Are you selling the damaged ones ? To what extend are the damages ?

MichaelC.
They're sold out
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

A little demo of mine in action

phpBB [video]

Return to “General Discussion”