New heng long Tiger 3818

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gcav17
Recruit

New heng long Tiger 3818

Post by gcav17 »

This tank came new with metal gears, metal tracks and a steel gearbox. And it is all new. But I have a problem with one of the idlers being stuck and causing come issues with track alignment.
Since the screw and wheel turn together. And the other side that works does not. Will I have to disassemble the thing? I already know I have to learn to work with these things. That's not an issue...
By the way this isn't my first tank. That was a Chicago model international M1A1 i got in 2000. And still runs. :-) Any help here would be great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: New heng long Tiger 3818

Post by Max-U52 »

I would install an idler adjust from Henntek. That should take care of all your problems with the idler trying to tighten up as it turns.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

I wondered if that was my problem. Is there a fix for this besides getting the adjuster?

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It has long been custom and practice to first go to the "Introduce Yourself" Section of the Forum and there you can tell us a little about why you have joined ,Where in the World you may be, What first gave you an interest in R/C Armour etc AND then you ask the questions otherwise we feel used :(
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:It has long been custom and practice to first go to the "Introduce Yourself" Section of the Forum and there you can tell us a little about why you have joined ,Where in the World you may be, What first gave you an interest in R/C Armour etc AND then you ask the questions otherwise we feel used :(
Oh baby, use me. . . .

About time we had a sticky, please read before you post questions.

The number of posts I've seen where answers are given, and not even a thank you in return, and then question asker never seen again unless they have another question. It's so rude.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

No. I believe that once I loosen the wheel. Run it forward. It tightens up again. The other side is just fine. Here to learn folks. Everything else works fine. Just won't drive.

capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Hi, gcav. Welcome to the forum.

If I remember correctly, the screw holding the idler on is a shoulder type screw. Also, there should be a washer between the idler and hull. You might try filing a bit off of the back side of the idler. Sounds like the shoulder part of the screw is not doing it's job.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

That sorta means I got to take the whole thing apart... Well I got to someday I guess.

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

First, take it off and make sure the idler spins freely on the axle. You need a better system, but here's a temporary fix - Take a toothpick or something and measure the depth of the hole. Measure how much screw sticks out the back of the hole and subtract from the hole depth. Cut a piece of plastic rod, or even soft metal rod (aluminium, brass, etc) to a length where it can be dropped in the hole to act as a stop. When the screw hits the rod it bottoms out, and will prevent the wheel from tightening. This is a temporary fix and it can be easy to strip out the threads for the screw, so take care. It will take several length adjustments to get the length of the rod right, and you really have to be careful. The best bet is to order a henntec

https://etoarmor.com/?product=henntec-i ... hl-tiger-1

I'm not sure the stock idlers fit the henntec. I've used their stuff before and had to machine parts to finish the job. Where are you, again? If you're stateside I have plenty Tiger idlers so we can get you hooked up for just the postage, usually 8 bucks, tops, to anywhere with a US zip code. So go ahead, tell me you're in the UK. :O @) @) :haha: :haha:

But seriously, if you want to do it right, get idler adjust.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m also a new member on this forum and will be absolutely no help to you but a few weeks ago I got the same tank that you got and I’ve not had the trouble that you’ve had. I can say that it’s the most fun thing I’ve bought in years. I’ve bashed it against stones and plowed through deep leaf piles and it just keeps going. The gun recoil is exaggerated but I find it enjoyable. I’ve got it completely disassembled now for detailing and weathering. Good luck with your repair efforts. Can you return it to the seller and get a replacement?

Return to “General Questions”