Hooben

Had a bad experience with a vendor? Let us know right here.
Forum rules
One topic per vendor, use the search facility to check if a thread already exists for a vendor.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Hooben

Post by sassgrunt »

I am VERY hesitant to complain about this company, as I have always liked their products. After Marco bought a VK4501(p) kit late last year, I immediately ordered one for myself. I knew from his postings that it would take awhile, so I waited three months before even asking about it. They sent it to me within a week after that.

In August, I decided to order another one, (this one to be made up in Girls & Panzer configuration, just to make Alpha jealous). I was quoted a price plus shipping by Kate, who is the only person I have dealt with.
August 14th - I paid the money in full.
August 30 - I never heard back from her, and wrote to ask about the shipping date, because I was going to be out of town for two weeks, (and didn't want it to get sent back if I wasn't home to collect it). Kate responded to let them know when I returned.
September 20 - I wrote that I was back, and Kate responded to acknowledge it.
October 16 - After three weeks, I didn't hear anything else, so I wrote to ask about the status. Kate replied, "It will take 20 to 30 days due to lack of raw material."
November 14 - I waited 30 days without hearing back from her, and wrote again to ask about the status.
November 24 - I waited 10 days without hearing anything from her, and wrote again to ask about the status.
December 3 - I waited 10 more days without hearing anything from her, and wrote again to ask about the status.

Not sure what to do at this point. I am a very patient guy, but it's been seven weeks since I heard anything from them....even an excuse. Like I said at the beginning, I like their products, but their customer service (after they have your money) is really lacking. Even if I wanted to file a dispute with Paypal, (which I don't - I'd rather still get the [product), it's well past the deadline for that.

If something positive happens (like I finally hear from them), I will post it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do business with them, but there has GOT to be a better way for others than what I'm experiencing! -Mike
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hooben

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike!
Hello! That is terrible news about Hooben. This issue is sometimes endemic to the guys out of China ( like Mato ) They do eventually honor their sales but seem to leave people hanging on a string at times. Raw materials? I didn't think that they were a garage outfit caught short of bulk plastic...
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O One month would be being patient, Mike. Two would be stoic, but still hoping for an immediate resolution.
Approaching four month's wait is going well beyond stoicism, and - I would suggest- into ANGER. @)
How can there be a shortage of plastics, when a good deal of the Pacific is awash with them :eh: ?? :crazy:
Hope you get some relief from this hard-to-resolve frustration soon!
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

I have never built a Hooben kit but from what i have heard the kits are decent

The RTR vehicles however are a different story
They are awful if their Maus is anything to go by

I ordered my Maus on the 27th of April and was told there was a 3-4 week delay to receive it, it arrived on the 2nd of November and was damaged on arrival and had a ton of issues:

Large parts are plastic like the gun mantlet and all detail parts including the shrapnel guards so its not all metal as described
Parts are missing like the antenna short out guard between the main and coaxial guns and there is no way to charge the FPV headset battery
The FPV system was advertised as 1080p however now that it is here the camera is 720p and the goggles are 480p and cuts out whenever i fire the main gun
The 75mm does nothing other than hold the IR emitter for the battle system
I had to ask to have the MG port added
The instructions are useless and wrong as to open the hull it says to unscrew the side screws this does nothing
The threads for the screws holding the hull roof on are just nuts glued to brackets on the inside
The rear convoy light is held in place with blue tack and is plastic
The turret has been deliberately limited with some switches glued to the inside of the hull roof so it cannot perform a 360 degree turn
There are large gaps between the plates and some of the plates don't even fit (its worse than the real T-34 lol)
It refuses to turn at all despite videos on their Facebook page showing it running without issue and it hesitates every few centimetres when going in a straight line
Almost all the details are wrong, worst being the front of the turret not curving down to the base and instead having a flat plate at the bottom
The turret is very flimsy and made of thin aluminium
There are no sockets for the IR receiver or FPV camera just loose wires so when you take them off the wires just fall into the turret
There is something loose inside the sealed fuel drum that rattles around
one side of the hull roof sits lower than the other
The entire gun assembly rips itself apart due to very cheap soft plastic working against a steel gear and strong motor for gun elevation and has stripped the teeth from the elevation gear and the axle that holds the gun in place has broken off at both ends leaving the gun loose

I am now having to go through my bank to get a refund as after telling Hooben about the issues they stopped replying to me

I would seriously recommend you avoid them at all costs
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

If you ordered the tank in August of this year your time is not expired to file a dispute with PayPal. PayPal provides protection for 6 months, so you should be able to file a claim anytime into February. I would do this immediately if I were you. Don't let the time limit expire. I have heard so many horror stories about hooben and how they get your money and then blow you off that I wasn't at all surprised to read about your trouble. It seems to me that this is par for the course for that company, and that's the reason that I don't own any hooben tanks.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

HALLELUIAH! I have FINALLY heard something from Hooben's customer service person, Kate. It took nearly two months of not hearing from her, but tonight I got a short message saying that they are still waiting on raw materials, and to thank me for being patient.

Thank you for the advice of filing a Paypal dispute to recover my money, but - truth be told - I am willing to risk losing it in the chance of eventually getting this kit.

I have to believe that posting on here made some sort of a difference. There just aren't that many forums that allow vendor feedback out there; and I'm sure that people in business want to know what people are saying about them. I will continue to update this thread, so that others can consider whether it's worth it to them to deal with these folks, (or maybe to get better information regarding timetables BEFORE sending them their money)!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

If you put a dispute in it doesn't mean it goes to PayPal straight away, but at least it's in the system and stops the clock as it were. I believe you get 180 on transactions these days
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Yesterday I read a poor soul in facebook that spent 1.200 bucks in hooben, and SEVEN YEARS later still has not received his tank...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

FINALLY I received the kit yesterday! I know that most people would have given up on it long and just filed a dispute to get their money back, but I really believed that Hooben would - eventually - come through. It took almost six months to the day from when I paid for it, and most of that time their communication was either non-existent or just excuses. Like: "lack of raw materials." I really had to ask them about what that specifically meant, and they replied, "Such as tank upper missing." Translated, I believe that meant that they were busy producing Tiger I and FURY tanks, and didn't have production for their VK4501 kits spooled up.

After this ordeal, I would be very reluctant to ever buy anything from Hooben, (or their Ebay outlet Thor Robotics) again. If I did, though, I would write them before I paid anything to ask when they would have it in stock to buy it, and what the time would be for them to ship it after I paid for it. I like their products, but am appalled by what they think passes for customer service.

All's well that ends well. -Mike
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Although it took an eternity ..... ( I for one cant wait for any new tanks or parts.) I'm so happy it's worked out for you :clap:

I expect thier reputation has taken a few dings along with some others in the hobby who have experienced similar problems.
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Vendors Blacklist”