Sherman Firefly Turrets...........

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Sherman Firefly Turrets...........

Post by BarryC »

Tiger6 wrote:Could you guys PM his personal email, rather than post it publically.
:wave:
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote:The trouble is, all the Multinationals, Banks, Social Media sites, and even Governments either trade our data, or have it hacked from them.. :thumbdown:
I know someone that had a spam and cold call free mobile phone number for nearly two years, never gave that number to anyone apart from family and close friends. Then, they had to give it to a hospital when they got cancer. Guess what, wasn't spam and cold call free anymore. Makes me sick that even a hospital would stoop that low and make money off of very sick patients privacy.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

sassgrunt wrote:Just for latest info, I emailed Nick this week to ask about buying one of his early M4 turrets with the narrow 75mm mantlet, (for an M4A4 build). He still makes it, and our business took only about two days to conclude. He is both friendly and fast, so don't hesitate to ask if he still produces something that you can't find elsewhere.
Needless to say, Mike, I shall look forward to seeing how you make use of that, and how the project evolves! Many more here will, as well, no doubt :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Tiger6 wrote:Could you guys PM his personal email, rather than post it publically.
Both of these email addresses are posted publicly on the rcuniverse.com website.
Here, in fact:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... ?styleid=7

However, I appreciate keeping a rein on public exposure to every aspect of one's existence.. :problem:
The trouble is, all the Multinationals, Banks, Social Media sites, and even Governments either trade our data, or have it hacked from them.. :thumbdown:
The latest data protection act is supposed to stop all of that (yeah ok, I did say supposed) - as an example if this forum was hosted in the EU, the owner and/or mods could potentially face prosecution for allowing you guys to post his email publically...

Also to add - I have never seen Nick post it himself, it has always been other people doing it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Tiger6 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Both of these email addresses are posted publicly on the rcuniverse.com website.
Here, in fact:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... ?styleid=7

However, I appreciate keeping a rein on public exposure to every aspect of one's existence.. :problem:
The trouble is, all the Multinationals, Banks, Social Media sites, and even Governments either trade our data, or have it hacked from them.. :thumbdown:
The latest data protection act is supposed to stop all of that (yeah ok, I did say supposed) - as an example if this forum was hosted in the EU, the owner and/or mods could potentially face prosecution for allowing you guys to post his email publically...

Also to add - I have never seen Nick post it himself, it has always been other people doing it.
Au Contraire, :) if you look at the first link to RCU, you'll see that it is Nick himself, responding to a query and providing his email address. Publicly, that is. :| That said, it's always handy to have a timely reminder of the issue of privacy on a publicly available forum, as well as having the benefit of someone au fait with European Law. :thumbup: Then again, this country is supposed to be leaving the EU and it's appalling deluge of bureacracy. And I should know, as I was once a representative of a London Local authority liaising with (London) based European Community institutions, and responsible for collating and updating all its baffling legal guff. :haha: (True) But, I digress. Perhaps we could return to the turrets now, eh? :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Alright you got me there - congratulations on proving me wrong by finding a post from a time before we were all nieve and didn't worry about online fraud... I still find it baffling that people think that it is ok to post somebodies personal email in a public place in this current day and age.
Chris Preston
Recruit

Post by Chris Preston »

'Morning All,

Many Thanks again, for your replies and help. I've contacted Nick and will be ordering a low-bustle turret shortly. This site is great for advice and encouragement, so Thanks again. So far, the lower hull on my Sherman Firefly - with VVSS (using the Tamiya kit as as my starting point) is almost done, and I've successfully mated the front end of Nick's Cast Hull for an M4A1 Sherman onto the rear of Tamiya's welded hull. It doesn't look too bad either. I just have some final details to finish up, along with some tidying-up of both the upper and lower hulls, and then I'll put the whole lot together for a test run (and post pictures if I can figure out how to do it).

Cheers,

Chris Preston,
Victoria, BC
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ah, so you're aiming to make the Hybrid Firefly Ic ?. ..
Update, having checked for some previous builds I was familiar with, I came across a reference to yours in August. I missed that, as I was away from the forum from April until quite recently. :/ :)
Have you seen this superb build from Tom?:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22930&p=209470&hil ... ly#p209470
I think Frankie, our resident Shermanofan, also made a hybrid; but here's one by
88-Bait:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22285&p=203339&hil ... ly#p203339
Chris Preston
Recruit

Post by Chris Preston »

'Afternoon All,

I'm a little tardy in posting this, but I received a Nick Aguilar Firefly Turret and fittings from Nick earlier this month, along with a set of British pattern fire-extinguishers and their mountings, for my Tamiya Sherman Firefly build, and I must say that Nick's work is beautiful. I'm busy cleaning up all the castings and getting them ready for assembly and priming. Nick's work is highly recommended.

Some questions for those more knowledgeable - for a working recoil I've seen recommendations from others who've done this conversion that they've used the Tamiya Pershing recoil system, so that's in the works. To make it function, I believe I'll also have to purchase the Pershing's DMD Multi-Function Unit MF-03.

Is the Pershing's DMD MF-03 unit compatible with the Sherman's DMD Control Unit T-05, or will I have to purchase the Pershing's DMD Control Unit T-06 as well.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,
Victoria, BC,
Canada
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

You can use pretty much any combination of MF and DMD together, outside of the original T-01 and the unit in the Leopard 2 (and probably the new Type 10?)

The MF-03 will give you Ford V8 sounds - you might want to look around for the MF-07 from the M51 instead, as I think that one has the correct radial engine noises.

Return to “General Questions”